Not a Great experience

msr126
msr126
Community Member
edited February 2016 in iOS

Lot time user of SplashID, which worked marvelously over the years, but wanted to upgrade to a password manager everyone rated so high. Got a license for Mac, windows and IOS client. And here my bad experience starts.

1) The Rich icons never worked for me. Tried on Mac, Windows and iOS by creating accounts for popular sites such as Amazon and Netflix. Icon never shows up, except the generic. Fetching the icons from a cloud looks great, but in practice couldn't retrieve icon for not even a single item. I am a savvy tech user, tried all options and gave up (explicitly made sure that no blocking is done by K9 Web Protection, OpenDNS and Kaspersky, and changed from wifi to LTE on iOS, and used Mac with office VPN to bypass any filtering. Manually tried to retrieve via the menu "download rich icons"). This is the single most frustrating experience for which i paid north of $50 for a non functioning app.

2) When you try to exit the app, i would like to lock out the vault and then close the app. Unfortunately lock functionality is not in main screen and you have to navigate to few more options before reaching there.

3) TouchID should work when trying to do an initial login, not after using the password once.

SplashID has all these features (at least they have some icons which come default with the app), but may not have the extensibility. I don't need an icon for every other website, but few popular ones should be good.

At this juncture, this app is not useful to me at all and at times i regret on why i purchased this and would like to get money back if possible, except i passed the 30 day money back period (Actually i was trying to export from SplashID and import here).

I don't want to discredit all the positive reviews by others, but hard to fall on the bandwagon. Apologize for venting my frustrations and hope some permanent solution can be provided so that i will use this for years to come.

Thanks,
MSR126

1Password Version: ios (6.2.1), Mac (6.0.2), Win (4.6.0.604)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X, Win 10
Sync Type: wifi

Comments

• Hi @msr126,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! I'm sorry to hear your experience thus far has been less than stellar but I'm hopeful I can assist in turning that around for you.

Let's start with the Rich Icon issue. This may seem silly, but I'd like to start right from the beginning. Can you please verify for me that:

1) Rich Icons are enabled? You can find this setting in 1Password for Mac under 1Password > Preferences > General > Use rich icons and on iOS under 1Password > Settings > General > Show Rich Icons.
    2) Each Login item you expect to see a rich icon for has a website field and that field is filled in with a website URL?

I just tested this feature by adding a new login called Test for msr126. I added "amazon.com" to the website field and the Rich Icon for Amazon was downloaded promptly:

We may not have a rich icon available for every website that you use, but certainly for the most popular websites we do.

For the "lock on exit" issue this can be achieved on iOS by enabling the Lock on Exit toggle under 1Password > Settings > Security and on Mac by enabling Lock when main window is closed under 1Password > Preferences > Security.

Your point about Touch ID is well taken. This is not currently possible, but we are looking into a secure way to do this. Currently the Master Password is cleared from the iOS keychain when the device reboots, but we are hopeful we can find a secure way to not have to do that.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• msr126
    msr126
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Thanks bwoodroff for your patience and detailed response.

1) I followed all your instructions with mixed results. The funny thing with rich icons is, when you have an account like americanexpress credit card, if i add it under creditcard, it doesn't populate the Amex icon. But when you add under logins, there is an Amex icon? Shouldn't a credit card be added under credit card section with card no, expiry date, $$ limit, cvc, login and password, etc etc?. I thought that 1Password look into the "Website" field and matches the bank/account based on some pattern or matching expression. Try adding a bank account like "penfed.org" and you will find what i am referring to. There is no "Website", instead i used URL with no success.

2) For "lock on exit", the simplest thing is to have a lock icon on your mainscreen on the top left under every tab, instead to navigate to particular way. Call me an old school, but i wanted to lock before exiting

3) Didn't understand your comments on TouchID. Most banks and creditcards use TouchID for logging without a password. If they all use, why not 1Password? If the device reboots, then you can ask user to enter master password. Or, you can force user to enter master password after X no of launches.

Appreciate your help, but i am still not there.

• Thanks for following up here.

1) I followed all your instructions with mixed results. The funny thing with rich icons is, when you have an account like americanexpress credit card, if i add it under creditcard, it doesn't populate the Amex icon. But when you add under logins, there is an Amex icon? Shouldn't a credit card be added under credit card section with card no, expiry date, $$ limit, cvc, login and password, etc etc?. I thought that 1Password look into the "Website" field and matches the bank/account based on some pattern or matching expression. Try adding a bank account like "penfed.org" and you will find what i am referring to. There is no "Website", instead i used URL with no success.

I think this all stems from a misconception about how/where Rich Icons work. Rich Icons will only appear for Login type items. They will not appear for other item types, including Credit Cards, Secure Notes, Bank Accounts, etc.

For your example, of an AMEX credit card, in general we'd recommend having two 1Password items: one Login item, which contains your credentials for the AMEX website (and will have a rich icon), and one Credit Card item which will have the actual credit card details (CC #, expiration, etc). We may have a different philosophy here from Splash ID; I'm not sure. But basically anything that contains credentials for a website should at a minimum have a Login item, and perhaps another item type as well. Only Login items can be filled into login forms by 1Password. Credit Card and Identity items can also be filled, but with a different purpose (the actual CC details, names & addresses, etc, not credentials).

2) For "lock on exit", the simplest thing is to have a lock icon on your mainscreen on the top left under every tab, instead to navigate to particular way. Call me an old school, but i wanted to lock before exiting

With lock on exit enabled locking your phone or navigating away from 1Password (by any means -- switching apps, returning to the home screen, etc) will all cause 1Password to lock. There just isn't room in the UI for a lock button on every tab. Maybe there is on an iPhone 6S Plus, but we're still working with iPhone 5 devices as well, remember. And really even if we could squeeze it in it would be redundant. The Lock on Exit setting serves the purpose. You can also adjust the Auto-Lock setting so that even if you leave your phone on your desk with 1Password unlocked it will lock itself at the set timeout (as low as 1 min).

3) Didn't understand your comments on TouchID. Most banks and creditcards use TouchID for logging without a password. If they all use, why not 1Password? If the device reboots, then you can ask user to enter master password. Or, you can force user to enter master password after X no of launches.

Sorry, I think again perhaps there is some misconception. It is definitely possible to use Touch ID to unlock 1Password, without any need to enter a PIN or password. The only catch is that, currently, when the device reboots, the Master Password will have to be entered once to enable Touch ID from then on (until the device reboots again). This is what we're looking into, perhaps, changing. But as of right now if you enable Touch ID within 1Password's settings (under Security) the default is to unlock with Touch ID until the device reboots.

Are we getting closer? :) Thanks!

Ben

• msr126
    msr126
    Community Member

Ben, Your response is very helpful. And we are getting closer slowly :) and hope that future releases will iron out few wrinkles here and there.

1) Hope that i knew that Rich icons only work for Logins but not Banking and other accounts to avoid confusion. I hope that i can still use the icons (.jif or .jpeg) of a bank instead of a generic icon. Like anything else, i might need time to understand 1Password app model, which seems to be different from others. Or may i was using SplashID for too long from Palm days.

2) Unlock on exist is good i checked it and it's working. But still need the icon :)

3) Will wait for the TouchID unlocking in future releases.

Thanks again for all your help and let me start importing/creating records in 1Password.

Regards,
    Srini

• You are very welcome! Thanks for sticking with me.

3) Will wait for the TouchID unlocking in future releases.

Just to clarify unlocking by Touch ID is available now. You can read more about setting it up here:

Use Touch ID | 1Password for iOS

The only caveat is that when you restart your iOS device you'll need to input the Master Password, as things stand right now. We are looking at possibly changing that.

2) Unlock on exist is good i checked it and it's working. But still need the icon :)

I'll pass along the feedback, but no promises. ;)

1) Hope that i knew that Rich icons only work for Logins but not Banking and other accounts to avoid confusion. I hope that i can still use the icons (.jif or .jpeg) of a bank instead of a generic icon. Like anything else, i might need time to understand 1Password app model, which seems to be different from others. Or may i was using SplashID for too long from Palm days.

I'm always surprised at the amount of feedback we get re: Rich Icons. I personally don't pay much attention to them. But that is why it is great that we have these forums to directly interact with customers. I probably wouldn't give them a second thought if it weren't for you folks pinging us about them. :)

I just tested, to be sure, and it is possible to set a custom icon on Mac on some of these items (I tested Credit Cards, specifically). We have a gag Credit Card item in our company-wide shared vault, and I added a :p emoji as the icon. You can see the results here:

I can't guarantee that this icon will sync to other installations, though. It does not appear, for me, on iOS. I'm not certain if that is because of the type of vault this item exists in (a 1Password for Teams vault) or if these icons simply don't sync. I have filed an improvement request on this topic for our development team.

These are points we can hopefully improve in the future. Rich Icons is definitely something we'd like to work on, we just have to find the resources. We have tens of thousands of rich icons saved for different domains, and we certainly didn't add them all manually, but at present adding any new ones is a manual process. We hope to start automatically retrieving icons again, but with all the other super-cool-and-super-secret projects going on, it hasn't happened just yet.

Ben

ref: OPI-3424

• msr126
    msr126
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Thanks Ben and i saw the TouchID on the login screen and i started using it from now. Not sure why i had to type the passwords earlier, but at least one issues is resolved.

Like you said, Rich Icons might be an item to improve and hope that i don't have to manually choose going forward and will test if it syncs across devices

The other issue i noticed is the functionality of 1Password across Mac and Windows seems to be a bit inconsistent. Mac seems to function as advertised (Probably because it evolved from that side) and on Windows, i still have issues with Rich Icons pulling when creating an Amazon/Netflix like account. Not why the same screen options appear on the same platform. For consistent user experience, both of them should behave the same (except if there are dependencies with the underlying OS), both functionality wise and visually. I use latest versions of software with Windows being the primary and then using on Mac for readonly and this seems to be a bit challenging to get the same experience. Please confirm that Rich icons works for windows Logins also. I have enabled relavant check boxes in windows.

Sincerely appreciate you kind responses and willing to go above and beyond to address customer needs.

Best Regards,
    MSR126

• It is true: our Windows application is not quite "in sync" with our Mac and iOS products, in terms of either function or design. Our Windows developers are very aware of this fact and are working hard to catch up. In the long term it is definitely a goal to have consistency across platforms, where possible, without losing the feel of a "native" application. Part of the reasoning for this is that Mac was our very first product. I don't think there is any denying that it is our flagship, and so it has a head start by a long shot. iOS was our second, and is able to share a lot of code with/from Mac. Windows came much later, and unfortunately cannot share code. It is also a much smaller, but rapidly growing, team.

Windows currently uses a totally different method of retreiving icons, and also uses different (smaller) icons from its Mac & iOS counterparts, so it is not unexpected that the experience is different there. Again, this is something we'd like to sync up at some point in the future.

Our 1Password for Windows 10 app, currently in beta and free on the Microsoft store, has some of these more modern features:

1Password Beta – Windows Apps on Microsoft Store

It is however being built from the ground up, and with the primary focus being on 1Password for Teams and 1Password for Families support. As such many of the fuctions not directly related to those services have not been implemented yet. Also, as apps of this type are now sandboxed by the operating system, the only browser integration currently is with a built in browser (1Browser), much like the built in browser we have on iOS. This is a limitation we hope to be able to overcome, but that'll likely be a way down the line, if possible at all.

Personally I use both our 1Password 4 for Windows desktop application and the 1Password for Windows 10 beta side by side. They both have strengths and weaknesses, and use cases for either can be made.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.