Finding a Consistent Primary Vault with local vaults and Families

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi,

I've been a long-time 1Password user, and I've recently moved into both 1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams. My biggest challenge is that I now want to use my Families and Teams account to sync my passwords between computers rather than the clunky Dropbox sync which has always been problematic.

The challenge is, this makes the primary vault confusing. On my Macs and iOS devices, my primary fault is currently synced by iCloud, but that means I'll have a different primary vault than my PCs, and when I want to access my passwords via the web interface on a computer I do not own, I have other passwords I need to remember.

I think what I want is to begin using my Family Account as the primary vault, but I don't know if 1Password for Mac and iOS supports that. I also don't know if there are downsides to that. So, I'm looking for advice on an ideal setup. Perhaps continuing to use Dropbox for the Primary (since the only passwords there are pretty much my 1Password vaults and accounts), may be the best way to go?

This is a fairly vague request. I guess what I'm really looking for is advice on an ideal setup and some insight into how managing multiple vaults is going to work down the line.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Mac 6.0.2, Windows 10 Beta, iOS 6.2.2
Extension Version: Safari 4.5.3, Chrome 4.5.3.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3, Windows 10, iOS 9.2.1
Sync Type: iCloud, Folder Sync, Dropbox, Families, Teams

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jonanscher,

First of all, thank you for being a long-time user, and special thanks for being among the first to try our new Families and Teams services! :)

There are certainly options here and we want you to choose what's best for you, but it sounds like you're keen to move away from Dropbox and iCloud sync, so my suggestion is to copy all your data from your synced Primary vault into your Families and Teams vaults (probably easiest to do this on Mac). Once all your items are migrated over, you can start over with a fresh install on each device (which will remove your local Primary vault) and add in only your Family and Team accounts when you set up the app.

You can have multiple vaults in each account, and use your Personal vault for things you don't want to share. How does that sound? Think that will work for your needs?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

That does sound nice, my only concern is, I'm then reliant on the account key to access my passwords remotely. I have the account key printed in my safe at home, but if I'm on the go, my iCloud synced vault is protected by a password only which I can and have memorized, so I can always access that still. But maybe all I need is a separate vault that just has my Family and Team in it, on Dropbox or iCloud. Then if I'm stuck, I can access the account key that way?

Does my thinking make sense? I'm just trying to anticipate when I would need the account key and if I'm not home, how I'd get it if I did. I guess if I've logged into my phone and my iPad and my computer, so long as I have one of those devices with me, I can get into 1Password without the account key. There would never be a time when the phone would log out of 1Password and require me to enter the account key as well as the password again?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

There would never be a time when the phone would log out of 1Password and require me to enter the account key as well as the password again?

@jonanscher: The idea with 1Password for Teams/Families is that device setup is one-time (or at least, once upon a time, only having to redo it if you reset it or delete the app).

I'm just trying to anticipate when I would need the account key and if I'm not home, how I'd get it if I did. I guess if I've logged into my phone and my iPad and my computer, so long as I have one of those devices with me, I can get into 1Password without the account key.

You're on the right track! But take it one step further. Once you have 1Password for Families setup on your iPhone, for example, you have your Master Password memorized, and your Account Key is already stored in 1Password on that device. Then it can be accessed in 1Password Settings > 1Password for Teams > Your Accounts, so you can use it to set up another device — say, your Mac.

So here's the trick: not only can you access 1Password for Families on a device you have with you that you already set up, you can also use it to setup a new one! I hope this helps. :)

This discussion has been closed.