1Password will not log on to washingtonpost.com crashes before I can even get to Synapse

Options

I have gone through the complete troubleshooting instructions you have posted, 1Password will not work on this website. I cannot even get to the gear icon in Synapse before the plugin crashes. I get the same results on both windows 10 and Mac OS X (el capitan) using the Chrome browser on both platforms. Not surprisingly, it works with the Safari browser on Mac OS.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:fix-website-login, kb:report-website

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wplogan,

Thank you for reporting this. I can replicate and now need to try and figure out why. It literally just is Chrome that is having this issue as Firefox works too. I suspect we'll need to dig a bit to discover what's happening but on a positive note due to the fact that it's so reproducible it shouldn't be too hard (by which I mean in contrast to weird bugs that we can't reproduce).

Can I ask one question though, when you say 1Password crashes what do you explicitly observe happening? I ask to make sure I'm definitely seeing the full range of bad behaviour. When I look in the logs what I see is that Chrome is closing the WebSocket which technically the code handles. It's definitely undesired behaviour and the cause of us not filling in Chrome on their login page but neither 1Password nor the extension technically crash for me. Instead Chrome is closing the connection between the two and then our code re-establishes a connection. I know it might sound picky but I just want to make sure I've correctly detailed everything otherwise I could cause the developers not to look further and potentially not fully fix something. If it's that we're not filling and then it takes a moment for the extension to re-establish contact then I think we're seeing the same thing and I've hopefully written a detailed enough report for our developers :smile:

ref: OPX-1132

• wplogan
    wplogan
    Community Member
    Options

What I see may not technically be a crash. On Windows the screen blinks accompanied by an alert tone and the plugin window vanishes. When I click on the plugin icon the plugin opens it's window and I have to enter the master password again. It appears to be restarting which looks like a crash to me.

It's good to know that you can reproduce the problem but it's not so good that you're going to have to sort of debug Chrome to fix this.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wplogan,

So oddly I can't reproduce being repeatedly asked for my Master Password, even in 1Password for Windows. I suspect it's related but I'd be more comfortable if I could reproduce the exact issue that you're seeing. The fact that it's happening at such a low level and seemingly without a massive amount of feedback isn't great but at least it's reproducible. We just need to figure out why now :smile:

• wplogan
    wplogan
    Community Member
    Options

That behavior is not consistent, sometimes I remain logged in to 1Password, sometimes I'm prompted for the master password, but it never fills in the username/password fields. This particular website has the oddest login process I've seen.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @wplogan,

It's weird, especially that it all works without issue in both Firefox and Safari too. While I haven't replicated it yet what you're describing does kind of make sense in my head given 1Password for Windows has an option where the main application can be unlocked while the helper isn't. I don't quite understand and this behaviour is different from the Mac so I think everything comes down to what we have recorded and that we're not missing something. All that remains is that small issue of why Chrome is disconnecting after we attempt to do all the pre-filling tasks.

• wplogan
    wplogan
    Community Member
    Options

You must be in or near London or your clock is reporting Greenwich Mean Time.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Unlike most of the AgileBits team I am UK based :smile: While interactions with the world outside my front door are in GMT I also find myself following EST too which covers Toronto :smile: Our UK team is small but we make up for it by being noisy :tongue:

This discussion has been closed.