Master password not recognised

Options
kingd60
kingd60
Community Member

Hi, apologies I'm new to this forum, but as of approx 20th Feb, 1Password fails to recognise my master password on my Mac. I tried my iPad version of 1Password, where it presented me with the Touch ID authentication and that failed too, despite my iPad recognising my fingerprint for other apps. I am 99% sure I'm entering my master password correctly though. I'm using the latest version of El Capitan, 1Password for Mac (purchased via the Apple app store) and my iOS version is up to-date. I am also using iCloud Sync to sync my vault. I've read the FAQ's around forgetting your master password, but before I attempt to re-build all my passwords in a new vault, I wondered if anyone else has recently had the above problem. Many thanks in advance. Dave

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kingd60 ,

I'm sorry you are having trouble accessing your 1Password data. We do get requests from people not being able to get in from time to time, but we aren't aware of any issue with a correct password not working.

When you answer incorrectly a couple of times, it presents a hint. Does the hint match what you entered when you set up your Master Password? If not, is it possible that someone has had access to your Mac and iPad and may have changed it?

Regards,
    Kevin

• kingd60
    kingd60
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kevin, thanks for the prompt response. My password hint matches what I initially entered and no-one has had access to either my Mac or iPad.
    Dave

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kingd60,

Thanks for confirming that you see the correct hint. Have you changed your master password at all recently? If so, have you tried unlocking 1Password with both the new and old master passwords?

If you're sure you are entering the correct password but it's not being accepted, there are some tips in this guide which might help: My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

I'm also a bit curious about what's happening on your iPad. You said it won't accept your Touch ID to unlock 1Password, but Touch ID is working in other apps. But when 1Password prompts you for Touch ID, the fingerprint scanning is actually being done by the operating system, using the same Touch ID data from the Settings app on the device. In other words, if Touch ID works to unlock your iPad, it should also work to unlock 1Password. So, it's very strange that it isn't working for you. Have you tried again to unlock 1Password on your iPad? If Touch ID isn't working, you can tap 'Cancel' and try entering your master password - does that work?

• kingd60
    kingd60
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for your post. I haven't changed my master password recently and have started to use variations of the password, just in case I have got it wrong - I'm starting to doubt my sanity :) Thanks for the link in your post above. On my Mac, I've restored a previous backup of 1Password from a date before I started having this issue, however that hasn't worked I'm afraid. I've also searched the keychain utility on my Mac, however I didn't elect for it to remember my password unfortunately. I did find one entry in the keychain related to 1Password, but it seems to be related to iCloud too and revealing the password gives me some kind of Hex string that I don't recognise. I'm afraid I'm not in front of my Mac at the moment, so can't easily give you more details on that. I can do if it'll help? in the meantime I'm going to keep trying to open up the app. Thanks again for your help. Dave

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kingd60,

Thanks for trying the suggestions in that knowledgebase article, although I'm sorry they didn't help. I was wondering if you could elaborate on this:

On my Mac, I've restored a previous backup of 1Password from a date before I started having this issue, however that hasn't worked I'm afraid.

I'm not sure I understand what didn't work - if you restored from a backup, that means it accepted your master password during the restore process. Do you mean that you restored from a backup, and your master password was accepted during that process, but that same master password wouldn't work to unlock 1Password after the restore was complete? Or do you mean you weren't able to restore from a backup because that backup wouldn't accept your master password?

I did find one entry in the keychain related to 1Password, but it seems to be related to iCloud too and revealing the password gives me some kind of Hex string that I don't recognise.

I'm not sure exactly what you found in the Keychain Access app, so I'm a little curious about that. It doesn't sound like it's your master password (that would only be there if you had used an option for that in a much older version of 1Password), but if you can give us a few more details about that, we should be able to tell what it is / what it's for (don't tell us the hex string, though).

In my last reply from yesterday, I had asked about 1Password on your iPad:

You said it won't accept your Touch ID to unlock 1Password, but Touch ID is working in other apps. But when 1Password prompts you for Touch ID, the fingerprint scanning is actually being done by the operating system, using the same Touch ID data from the Settings app on the device. In other words, if Touch ID works to unlock your iPad, it should also work to unlock 1Password. So, it's very strange that it isn't working for you. Have you tried again to unlock 1Password on your iPad? If Touch ID isn't working, you can tap 'Cancel' and try entering your master password - does that work?

Can you let us know about that? Thanks! :)

• kingd60
    kingd60
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again. Apologies for not being clear in my last post. In answer to your queries. On my Mac, I launch 1Password, try to enter my master password and it rejects it (the windows wobbles!). I then go to the 1Password menu, select file > restore and in the preferences window I select a previous backup and press restore. I then get a message asking if I want to do this, I say yes, then 1Password quits. I don't get any other message on the screen, so I'm not sure if it's worked. However, entering my master password again fails.

Re the keychain entry, I've copied/pasted below some information regarding the entry I've found:

Name: com.apple.cloudd.deviceIdentifier.Production
    Kind: application password
    Account: iCloud.com.agilebits.onepassword
    Where: com.apple.cloudd.deviceIdentifier.Production

The password, once revealed is a 32 character string separated by 4 dashes.

Re my iPad, that's my understanding of Touch ID too. After Touch ID failed it prompted me for my master password, which failed. Since then I haven't been offered Touch ID as an unlocking option.

Hope that's a clearer explanation for you. Thanks for your help with this. Dave

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kingd60,

I don't know if it will help or not but maybe looking at a diagnostic report could shed some light. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

I also wonder, have you tried multiple backups from the point before this started and are they all behaving the same way?

• kingd60
    kingd60
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, I've just sent you an email as requested to the above email address. I have tried a few backups from prior to the 20th Feb, when this issue started, however, I've had no luck I'm afraid.

Thanks

Dave

• kingd60
    kingd60
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I've just received the ticket no: #ETZ-95192-371

Dave

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kingd60: Thanks, Dave! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly! :)

ref: ETZ-95192-371

• kingd60
    kingd60
    Community Member
    Options

Cheers thank you. Dave

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.