Can I reproduce my Dropbox setup in Families? (Share primary vault)

Options
XIII
XIII
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Families

I currently administer the 1Password accounts for some family members using Dropbox (which works fine, so I'm not sure yet whether I will migrate to Families; we already paid for all clients). Each of them has (only) 1 (primary) personal vault, which is a secondary vault in my account. There is no other sharing (between those relatives). I use all platforms, my family members only iOS (for now).

Can I reproduce my Dropbox setup in Families?

(I believe they cannot give me access to their primary Family vault, only to secondary vaults - unlike Dropbox)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@XIII

AFAIK, and in my experience so far the only vaults that are sharable in families are the secondary ones.

To be brutally honest here, I was an avid Dropbox user. Always answering posts here about it. I much prefer the teams/family setup now. Each of the family members have a personal vault non shared and they created a vault which they share with the family if they so choose. You also have a common shared vault to all members. You can place items like Netflix passwords here. ;) So when you change it and they can have access.
    However, I have to say there is no looking back for me. 1Password lead to my being a moderator over at Dropbox and I still do that, but I have removed Dropbox as 1Password data repository for what I expect to be forever.

Sharing is more tightly engrained, no more needing to share Dropbox folders and have the invite accepted. You can help family members regain access to vaults if they forget there Master Password. Huge plus IMHO.

To sort of mimic my Dropbox setup, we did the following

Mine:
    Personal Vault non shared
    Tommy (me) shared w/ wife

Wife:
    Personal Vault non shared
    Barbara shared w/ me
    Barbara secondary vault for work related items shared w/ me

Kids: (x4)
    Personal Vaults non shared
    Vault named after each child shared w/ myself and the wife

Shared vault :
    Common to all people

I as the admin would love to be able to disable the personal (non shared) vault for the kids and only allow them to use the specific vault. It may be possible now. I have been busy at work and have not been able to follow teams/families closely the last few weeks.

Why not setup a demo team for the time being, experiment for a bit and see how it works. That would be my best suggestion to you. If you don't wish to keep it then don't subscribe when the time comes. Plus it allows you to get in on the early bonuses should you decide to stay with the families setup. 2 months for free, 2 additional users, double to storage space for documents.

https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/16/introducing-1password-for-families/

Just a little rambling from me. Hope it helps you in some way. If you have other questions, simply ask away.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of a similar setup, as a workaround.

I'm already an early "subscriber" and I completed the quest, so I have 3 months to figure out whether I want to become a paying family member.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for giving it a go, and please let us know if you have other questions :)

This discussion has been closed.