Is the account key something that is team specific or is it user specific?

Options
lewpiper
lewpiper
Community Member

I am trying to understand account keys a bit more and am having a hard time wrapping my head around them. These are entirely foreign to me as up to now I have used 1Password with iCloud sync and Dropbox previously.

Some members of my team are not as tech savy as myself and therefore I am worried they will likely lose the account key. I can count on them hopefully remembering their master password, but all bets are off if they have to remember more than that I would think. So I am just trying to understand if I am the admin and have access to all their vaults can I get it if they lose it?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud --> Families
Referrer: forum-search:account key

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @lewpiper,

Have you read our understanding account keys document?

Understanding the Account Key

To answer the question in the title: account keys are specific to the user. Each user within a Team/Families account will have a different account key.

The intention is not for folks to remember their account key. I certainly don't remember mine! The intention is that it will be printed and stored in a secure location.

Owners of family accounts can initiate recovery for their family members (but not for themselves!):

1Password for Teams Admin Guide: Account Recovery

This guide is written for Teams, but much of it is applicable to Families as well. I hope that helps!

Ben

• lewpiper
    lewpiper
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @bwoodruff

Thank you so much for you quick reply!

This information was so valuable and I definitely get it now. My main concern was that the account key could be restored should someone lose it... which I know will happen. It is more a matter when not if. But knowing that I can do a recovery process with any member of my team is all the peace of mind I need.

Thanks a million!

Lew

• Ben
    Options

Perfect! Thanks for the update Lew. Glad to hear that helped. You're most welcome.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.