My problem

Options
rctneil
rctneil
Community Member

Hey,

I would LOVE to come in here and say to everyone that 1Password for Families is amazing and my family use it all the time....

... but I can't :-(

This is NOTHING to do with 1Password and is in NO WAY their problem, but a problem at my end. See, I have tried explaining the benefits of having 1Password for several years now to members of my family but they just do not get it. They still go on with their small select few passwords for accounts, go through password reset procedures on a near daily basis etc. I have tried many times and many times it's turned into a mini shouting match. "I DON'T NEED THAT" - Just like that! :-)

Ah well, I use my purchased 1Password license and will absolutely continue to do so but unfortunately won;t be able to pass on the benefits to my family.

Sorry guys, I tried! but thanks for making all this awesome stuff and I hope the people who do use it enjoy it and find it useful!

Neil

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem with Families, minus the shouting. But at least my family uses the standalone applications. I so far haven't been able to explain how convenient it would be to have a shared vault for those sites where we share logins or for the credit card accounts we use, etc., instead of telling each other to change our shared passwords. And of course, sometime we forget to tell each other. And we could do this with our current standalone installations and vaults shared by Dropbox, and we don't do that either.

I am hoping to make some stealth progress though.

Embarrassing for someone who spends as much time on this forum as I do!

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, Didn't quite mean full on shouting haha. Sort of along the lines of I keep mentioning 1Password when I notice a situation or scenario where 1Password could have helped and made things simpler and maybe they are getting a bit fed up of my suggestion now! Ah well. We all know the benefits and can erm, benefit from it!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have a extended family member who also refuse's to use 1Password or any manager. He also use's a small set of passwords like three over everything, and like you mentioned he goes through the reset process quite often.

I think, I have the immediate family as champions for 1Password now. I know the wife sure does.

One of my friends insists he only needs two password's (one for the bank and one for everything else) and no one can compromise them. Let me just say he has told me one of them on occasion (when I registered him for a website) and I feel 1 million percent his password could be broken in a few days by most password crackers.

He's a know it all to an extent and cant be told anything. I almost have quit trying with him to be honest. He's still young, and thinks he knows it all (Did I say he's a know it all :P ), no one has been in his situation. He's smarter than the world. Trouble is he's fairly knowledgable about computers.

I have thought about giving him 1Password for families for a year but I don't want to just burn money and him not use it.

It really is a hard thing to get people to understand at times. I will of course not give up entirely, and will try to convert them at some point.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

My wife is fully on board with 1Password, thank goodness. Our daughter, not I, gets the credit for that. It's the sharing part that is the trouble here.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

My wife has never been on board with LastPass or now 1Password, though her password habits are slightly better than a lot of people who don't use a password manager. I've stopped mentioning it as often because I value my life and wife, but we'll see :-) (She also hates installing new stuff on her computer--she did have a LastPass account she would use to access stuff I shared with her occasionally, and will probably do the same with Families for convenience, once I can use it). My 9 year old son, on the other hand, is an enthusiastic 1Password user who was thrilled when I offered to install it on his computer and set it up for him :-)

Also my Mom used LastPass and it helped her (and me, when helping her) quite a bit, and I converted her to 1Password as well. So sometimes it's just a personality thing...when I first introduced my wife to Firefox before we were married (10+ years ago), she was an IE user who didn't think she'd ever change, but then after finally switching to Firefox she loves it dearly and wouldn't change to Chrome when it became popular (though she uses both now because she needs multiple browsers to separate some work stuff). It's not just a password manager thing :-)

I do love my stubborn wife very much, but she'll be the first to admit she is! She helps make me more stubborn to keep up...

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Bumping this to the lounge now, as the staff will get in tomorrow morning… and well they'll catch us running away with this convo in the families forum. :blush:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I had a good laugh — and cry — reading this. Indeed, it can be quite challenging getting our families to see that there's a better way!

So challenging, in fact, that I almost typed "better", as if 1Password isn't actually better than reusing password and/or logging in manually, even though it is! Part of this, I think, is the whole "different strokes for different folks" mentality, which is really important and helpful in most situations...but when it comes to something like security, I really can't say that doing the insecure thing is "just different" and that "everyone is entitled to their own preferences".

Technically that last bit is true and applies here as well, but the problem is that no one is going to say they prefer being insecure. They will just cling to insecure habits because it will always be easier than changing.

It sounds like my experience was less trying than some folks here (though there are still challenges). Given that I'm essentially in charge of "computer stuff" here, my strategy was as follows:

At some point I just installed 1Password, said "here, do this", and proceeded to show my wife (girlfriend at the time) that she could login to websites by pressing only ⌘ \. While this may not do it for everyone, I don't think anybody can argue that this is easier than manually typing even the lamest reused password over and over. And once I got that hook in, it was just baby steps to change passwords for individual sites.

The real problem here is that there's no silver bullet: everyone is different, so a different approach (and perhaps diplomacy) is needed. But I really feel like starting with "this is how it makes your life easier" can make our lives easier when it comes to getting our loved ones to take those crucial first steps toward "this is how it makes your life more secure". :)

This discussion has been closed.