1P6.1 does not notice password change on gmail account

Options

Hi,

Google reported a suspicious attempt to access my gmail account, so I reset the password. When I entered the (random) password twice, 1P 6.1 did not notice the change. More work for the "brain"?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @odysseus,

I've just tried changing my password for a gmail account and like yourself I found it didn't ask if I wanted to update my password. It will either be the extension not recognising it as a password change form or maybe the fact that the subdomain differs. We'll have to look into this :smile:

Thankfully any use of the Password Generator means a Password item will have been created. When I used the Password Generator I had an item created for myaccount.google.com and I could use that to manually update my Login item for my Google account. You may very well have known this already but I just wanted to make sure.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

I did notice this. What is amazing for me is how many major web sites for which password fill / update still doesn't work properly.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@odysseus Could you let us know some of the URLs where you're having issues filling and a little bit of detail about what you expect to happen vs what actually happens? We have an update to our form filling logic that is currently in internal testing and going to be in the next betas that I would like to see if it behaves better.

Password changes are a challenge that I'm looking forward to tackling more in the near future. Right now, the logic for whether something is a change password page is pretty simple. What we have now is surprisingly effective for its simplicity but we can certainly do better on this, and I have some ideas for how we can improve going forward. I would love to know some sites where password changes failed for you as well. If they're sites where we can create an account easily (Banks and other financial institutions are usually the most troublesome on this front for obvious reasons.), we can certainly take a look and see how we can improve on those sites in particular.

Right now, the main thing to look for on a change password form is that there is more than one password field and that you end up entering your new password twice. So, sometimes you might get asked for your current password and then to enter and confirm you new password. Or, you might only be asked to enter and confirm the new password since you're already logged in.

But I have seen some forms where you were only asked for your current password and then the new one once, which 1Password currently won't recognize as a change password form. We tried supporting these a while ago but it led to too many false positives. My new ideas for how to make this better should allow us to support them, but it's all theory at this point, and I don't have a timeframe to share for when it will be available. But I do want you to know it's something we're thinking about and that we're pretty much never satisfied with 1Password's form filling capabilities. :)

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi,

1P didn't support password changes on appleidd.apple.com, but that is fixed now. The only other problematic site that I know is gmail accounts (see above).

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's good to hear, @odysseus! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.