I'm not sure what to upgrade to

Options
cpw
cpw
Community Member

Hi,

I purchased 1password single license at Christmas. Now I would like to start sharing with my brother. We do not live in the same house. I'm not sure what's the most cost-effective solution for an upgrade. I notice the Teams plan is free on beta - when will the beta end and how much would it be afterwards?

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:family license, kb:sales-faq

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @cpw,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

1Password for Teams is probably overkill for sharing within a family. This is why we built 1Password for Families. It uses the 1Password for Teams infrastructure but some options are simplified (for example Teams has very granular access controls whereas Families does not). It also comes at a significantly decreased cost.

A 1Password for Families subscription is $5/mo for up to 5 people (with 20% discount if paying annually) compaired to $5/person/mo for Teams. We are currently running an 'early adopter special,' in part as a thank you to our existing customers, which ups the total number of people who can be invited for the base price from 5 to 7, adds an extra GB of storage space, and gives you two additional months of free service (in the form of a $10 credit). You can read more about that here:

AgileBits Blog | Introducing 1Password for Families

I hope that helps!

Ben

• cpw
    cpw
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. Is there a migration process for me, seeing as I already have the individual license, or does it not make a difference?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cpw: Yep! It's pretty straightforward, as you'll just be copying your data from your current vault(s) into your new 1Password for Families vault(s):

Migrate to a Family or Team account

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. We're here for you! :)

• cpw
    cpw
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @bwoodruff Thanks for your help. The barcode feature is great!

Now that I've moved my stuff from my current primary vault to my new personal vault in my family account, what do I do with my primary vault? Do I delete it or just stop using it?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cpw: I'd say give it some time to adjust, but ultimately if you're going to use 1Password for Families exclusively, it might make sense to get rid of the original vault to avoid confusion and clutter. be sure to let us know if that's something you'd like us to help with! :pirate:

• cpw
    cpw
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thanks very much! Will just let it be for now. Sorry, one last question... when can I pay? Has the feature not been rolled out yet or does my first family member need to join before I get the option?

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cpw,

We haven't rolled out the payment system quite yet. Don't worry, we'll give you plenty of notice when it's up and running :)

• cpw
    cpw
    Community Member
    Options

@Aleen Thanks, you guys have been great.

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My pleasure! Have a great week :)

• CalfeeRider
    CalfeeRider
    Community Member
    Options

Catching up on this topic, I noticed abrenty's comment

"ultimately if you're going to use 1Password for Families exclusively, it might make sense to get rid of the original vault to avoid confusion and clutter. be sure to let us know if that's something you'd like us to help with! "

I'm confused. I thought it was not possible to delete the primary vault from one's local version of 1Password for Mac.

Thanks in advance.

• Ben
    Options

@CalfeeRider

You're not wrong. :) The 1Password for Mac interface does not currently allow for deleting your Primary vault. But there is a way to go about it. It involves some mucking about in the file system, so if that isn't something you're comfortable with we'd recommend holding off until we can make this possible through the UI.

Essentially you'd (1) backup your computer with Time Machine and then (2) follow our instructions for starting over. When you do so the next time you launch 1Password for Mac it'll be as if you are launching it for the very first time (all 1Password data on your computer is erased). Then you can simply sign into your Families / Teams account. The only vaults you'll have at that point are the ones associated with the Families / Teams account.

These instructions are not for the faint of heart. Again if you are not comfortable mucking about in the file system, aren't confident in your backups (1Password's internal backups are also deleted by this), or simply are able to wait until we have an easier way to switch to "Teams/Families-only mode" then I'd recommend holding off.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.