Understanding the difference between products

Options
blurter
blurter
Community Member

From reading the discussions on this forum, I have learned many benefits of 1Password for Families over the stand alone product like the ability to assign members who can recover accounts, included software for multiple platforms, no reliance on 3rd party syncing, and early adopter benefits.

To help me make my final decision about switching, are there any limitations about switching? Other than (1) not being able to make local data backups and (2) the inability to use attachments with entries, are there any other issues I should consider?

Also, if I understand correctly, 1Password for Families has limited access control features when sharing vaults. If I want to provide family members with only read access to certain vaults, should I consider 1Password for Teams instead?

I've read the online documentation, but it is focused on the Teams product, so it's a little challenging to understand the differences between each offering.

Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @blurter,

Thanks for taking the time to write in, and for having done your research! It sounds like you've already found the answers to most of your questions yourself, but I'd be happy to help with the remainder.

The only other "limitation" I might mention would be the limited support for Families/Teams on Windows at the moment. There is a lot of discussion about this elsewhere in this forum, so I won't turn this into Yet Another Windows Thread, but if Windows support is important to you then Teams / Families may not be the right choice quite yet. We're working hard to get it there.

It is true that currently Families does not give you the ability to make a vault read-only for an individual, while Teams does. If this is absolutely a critical feature for you to have now then yes, Teams would be the only way to get it (not even the standalone products have this). That said, we're definitely looking at adding this capability to Families, and while I can't make any promises, there is a decent chance it is coming. Teams is quite a bit more expensive than Families, so if this is the only feature that leads you to Teams vs Families then you'll want to include that price difference in your cost benefit analysis. Teams is going to start at $5/person/mo where as Families is $5/mo for a family of up to 5 (7 with the early adopter promo).

Families is built on the same infrastructure as Teams so much of the documentation will apply to either, but of course there are differences (and will be more in the future). We're working on making these differences more clear, but for the most part families (and individuals) should sign up for Families and everyone else should sign up for Teams.

Ben

• blurter
    blurter
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the fast response. To save money, I'll go for Families now. I know this is new, so I'll give it a chance. Hopefully more access control options for vaults will be available in the future.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! I'd say it is unlikely that options beyond the possibility of read-only will be added for Famililes accounts. If fine grained controls in this regard are important to you then Teams may indeed be the better option.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.