Families or Individual license for 2

Options
snooz48
snooz48
Community Member

My wife and I are in a Apple environment... iMac, iPad2Air, 2xiPhones. I am doing a 30 day trial for 1Pass on my Mac, and have installed the free IOS app on my iPhone and iPad. Originally I was drawn in by the Families program, but as I look at our situation, I am having a difficult time financially justifying paying a monthly fee of $60 annually vs a 1 time license for my iMac ($50) with free iOS apps for my iPhones and iPad. Is there something I am missing?

1Password Version: 6.0 for Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: iCloud or Dropbox

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @snooz48,

Our standalone apps are still available and can be a great solution, depending on your needs. Families makes keeping your data up to date on all of your devices much easier than the standalone apps (syncing via Dropbox or iCloud), and the ability to share data is one of the core principals (whereas sharing is not possible with iCloud, and works with Dropbox but not without some effort).

For a family with multiple devices that has some (or all) shared credentials I'd highly recommend 1Password for Families. The subscription includes all of our compatible client apps, as well as all future upgrades to those apps. Without a subscription you are subject to paid upgrades for major version releases.

The subscription also includes the Pro features for iOS (normally $9.99 USD per Apple ID). While the free iOS app suits many individuals just fine it does not have multiple vault support which makes sharing credentials difficult/impossible.

Additionally the Families service offers an extra layer of security: the Account Key:

Understanding the Account Key

With Families you also get a web interface that you can use to access your data. This can be very helpful if you need to access your data on a trusted computer at work, but can't/don't want to install software, for example.

And last but not least I'll mention that there is currently an early adopter's special which gives you an additional 2 months free (on top of the 1 month everyone gets), plus some other goodies:

AgileBits Blog | Introducing 1Password for Families

Plus if you pay annually (vs monthly) there will be a 20% discount available.

So, you do get a fair bit with Families that isn't available with our standalone apps. At this point, for the most part, I'd only recommend the standalone apps to a single individual who only intends to use one or two devices. Even for such an individual Families offers a number of benefits, but I could see why such a person would choose the standalone option. I think there are a lot of worthwhile benefits with Families, but that said you'd be well served either way you decide.

I hope that helps in the decision making process!

Ben

• snooz48
    snooz48
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben. I think I can see the bigger picture now regarding Families.

I'm on a 30 day trial now. What happens when the 30 day is up?

• rob
    Options

Hi, @snooz48.

After the 30-day trial of 1Password for Mac, you won't be able to add any new items, but we never lock you out of your existing data.

The same will be true of the 30-day trial of 1Password for Families.

This discussion has been closed.