How to make the Personal Vault the new Primary Vault?

Options
ChaconC
ChaconC
Community Member

I'm trying out the new Families features and before adding other members I'm going through the process myself.
Signing up and moving my data was simple enough, however I'm stuck trying to get rid of the old "Primary Vault".

My primary vault is now empty and I know I could just use the "All Vaults" view to filter the empty one out but I should be able to use Personal as Primary.

Another problem is I have to unlock 1Password with my old master password (I used this as a reason to finally change my master password), and again I could change my "master password" on my Mac but this will not sync over to other platforms.

For reference:

• Created Families account
  • Created a new Master Password
  • I added a Families account in OS X
  • I copied all data from "Primary" to "Personal"
  • I disabled Dropbox sync in OS X
  • I went to iOS and linked the device
  • I disabled Dropbox sync in iOS

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Make the personal vault the new primary vault

Comments

• ChaconC
    ChaconC
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Just saw this post with the same question I had https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/60443/how-to-switch-to-family-only

Now I begin to question my choices
    gob_hugemistake.jpg

• rob
    Options

Hi, @ChaconC.

No mistake at all! It sounds like you've set up everything correctly. If you'd like to get rid of the Primary vault, you can follow the same instructions Aleen linked in the other thread to "reset" 1Password and then add your family account back. Since the data is saved on the server, you won't lose it by starting over. You'll be able to sign in to your family account and pick right back up where you left off, this time using your new Master Password.

I hope that helps!

• ChaconC
    ChaconC
    Community Member
    Options

Everything "works" but I rely heavily on Alfred integration so I had to backpedal and copy everything back to the Primary vault.
    Now every item is duplicated (iOS search shows items twice) until that integration is restored.

In any case, the process to get rid of the primary vault was very convoluted, I would've expected it to be as easy as it was to go back to local vaults.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Everything "works" but I rely heavily on Alfred integration so I had to backpedal and copy everything back to the Primary vault.
    Now every item is duplicated (iOS search shows items twice) until that integration is restored.

@ChaconC: In both 1Password for Mac (Preferences > All Vaults) and 1Password for iOS (Settings > Vaults > All Vaults), you can exclude individual vaults from All Vaults to avoid getting results from your duplicate vault if you wish. :pirate:

In any case, the process to get rid of the primary vault was very convoluted, I would've expected it to be as easy as it was to go back to local vaults.

Thank for the feedback! It's certainly something we can try to improve in the future...but keep in mind that we need to be very cautious when it comes to helping people destroy their data. We don't want to make it too easy to do anything destructive. :dizzy:

This discussion has been closed.