As the family plan admin, can I see whats in everyone else's vault or only items I share?

Options
kors1pass
kors1pass
Community Member

Can they maintain their own passwords and we share other passwords, or does the family admin see everyone's vaults and all passwords?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:can i see all vaults in a family subscription?, ug:mac/teams-families-setup, kb:share-vault, kb:choose-sharing, kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@kors1pass - I am going to move this to the Families section of the forum, where you should get better help. I hope you don't object.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kors1pass

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

The short answer is that "Personal" vaults are only ever visible to the user which they are associated with. Any items stored there are inaccessible to anyone else.

That said, in the interest of full disclosure, admins technically have "the keys to the kingdom." Meaning they have all of the encryption keys. They have to, in order to be able to perform account recovery. This means if an admin were somehow able to get their hands on a user's encrypted data they would have the keys to decrypt it. The software actively prevents this sort of thing, but it is worth noting that the data is not cryptographically protected from account admins. An admin would need to find a way to obtain the user's encrypted data in order to take advantage of this, and there are other measures in place that make it such that it shouldn't be possible.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.