I am trying to manually submit Login pages by using the enter key, (in Firefox), but nothing happens

Options

I am trying to manually submit Login pages by using the enter key, (in Firefox), but nothing happens. 1Password fills the username, password fields, but when I press the enter key, nothing happens. Using Safari, everything is normal. Has some change been made that causes a conflict with Firefox? I did not have this problem a couple of days ago.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.4
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb-search:enter key won't submit data, kb:disable-autosubmit

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jenaz,

Thanks for reaching out to us about the problem you're having! Just to make sure I understand, are you saying 1Password fills sign-in forms correctly in Firefox, but you can't submit those sign-in forms by pressing the Enter key on your keyboard? But pressing Enter submits the same forms correctly in Safari?

If so, that shouldn't be related to 1Password. You should be able to submit a sign-in form on a website by pressing Enter regardless of whether or not the 1Password extension is installed (unless of course Enter doesn't happen to work on a particular site in general). Is this a problem for all websites, or just one specific site? If you remove the 1Password extension from Firefox, does the Enter key start working to submit sign-in forms?

Also, 1Password normally tried to automatically submit sign-in forms after it fills them, as long as the Automatically submit logins after filling option is enabled in 1Password > Preferences > Browser. Have you disabled that option?

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

• jenaz
    jenaz
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Yes, this is a problem on all websites, not just one specific site. Yes, if I remove the 1Password extension, then I have to manually type the entries into the username/password fields and pressing the enter key submits the form. Yes, the auto submit option has been disabled. If I enable it, auto submit works (Mac app store version, I had to install a script). The problem seems to be that the extension is filling the form fields for the sign-ins (I use "Command-\"), but the "submit" button does not then gain focus; pressing the enter key has no effect. Until 3 days ago, everything worked normally. My version of Firefox is 45.0.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @jenaz!

Yes, the auto submit option has been disabled. If I enable it, auto submit works

Out of curiosity, is there a reason the auto-submit option is disabled? If it works when it's enabled, you wouldn't need to press Enter yourself to submit the form.

Yes, if I remove the 1Password extension, then I have to manually type the entries into the username/password fields and pressing the enter key submits the form.

This gave me an idea: Use the extension to fill your username/password, then click somewhere in the username or password field (so you see the blinking cursor). Now try pressing Enter. Does that submit the form?

• kennwilson
    kennwilson
    Community Member
    Options

Came here about this same issue.

I've also noticed that I am now unable to just hit enter to submit a form. It looks like the problem is simply that the focus does not remain in the password field. When the focus remains in the password field, pressing enter works as expected. When the focus does not remain, the form does not submit with a keypress.

I also have auto-submit disabled, mainly because I like having the opportunity to click "remember me" checkboxes and the like before the form submits (1Password doesn't always fill those).

• jenaz
    jenaz
    Community Member
    Options

I disabled auto-submit so that I could control additional form check boxes. For example, I don't like to use the "remember me" feature and 1Password sometimes leaves those checked.

Sorry, at the present time I am unable to follow up on your other idea. When I have a chance to do that, I will. (About 8-10 days from now)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jenaz and @kennwilson,

Sorry about this. We made an alteration in version 4.5.4 of the extension when we discovered a situation where 1Password wasn't correctly observing the submit setting and submitting regardless, something that obviously needed fixed. Unfortunately what wasn't caught during testing is that it wasn't focussing the password field for those that don't use auto-submit and the first reports were only after 4.5.4 was released.

We have a beta version of our extension that was released just yesterday that hopefully fixes this and seemed to work for all the sites I tested it with. If you're interested you can download the beta from our page at 1Password Browser Extensions (beta) and it should replace the version you have as it's newer. Does this beta help?

ref: OPX-1138

• jordiw
    jordiw
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables,

I had the same problem (not keeping input focus after filling the form), just installed the beta firefox version 4.5.5.b2 and beta chrome extension version 4.5.4.90.

Both versions fix my problem, after filling a form the focus stays at the password field again

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jordiw,

Thank you for your feedback, yours is the first report we've had beyond my own testing so this sort of information is invaluable. It's one thing for us to believe we've fixed it, it's much nicer when we here from our users that it is doing what we think it is :smile:

• kennwilson
    kennwilson
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, this fixes it for me. Thanks!

• johnnyray14
    johnnyray14
    Community Member
    Options

In the latest versions of 1Password for both Mac and Windows, I can no longer submit my logins by hitting the Enter key after doing the filling (either from the keyboard shortcut or a selection from the 1Password menu). Before this latest update, hitting Enter always worked. This happens across multiple browsers on each platform.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kennwilson,

That's great to hear, thank you for reporting back :smile: I think we've got that one nailed. I'm happy to know the beta fixed the issue for you :smile:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @johnnyray14,

I hope you don't mind but I've merged your post with another as they are regarding the same issue. My post from March 12 in this thread should help clarify the issue as well as offer a way of obtaining a fixed version that seems to be working for everybody afflicted. Sorry for the troubles we caused :smile:

This discussion has been closed.