1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member

Ditto. Although, if possible, I'd prefer othe option to require the master password on restart to be separate from any timed requirement.

In other words, I think it'd be preferable to have a "Require master password on restart" switch, and separately, a "Require master password after" drop-down menu with the timeout options.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HRD

I was the one who worked on this, so it's awesome to hear your positive feedback.

@swivelman, it sounds like you want "Never" and "After Restart" to be separated visually from the other timed options, then display the timed options when a third option "After timeout" (or similarly, better wording) is chosen?

While this could be done it's probably fairly low on the list. I had considered doing this in the beginning though.

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member

@AGKyle, I'm not quite sure we're saying the same thing, and I'm not sure exactly how you'd word it, but what I'm trying to say is is that I'd like the option to require the typed master password after restart to be a completely separate option from any timeout requirements.

So I'd like the ability to say timeout after say, two weeks, but not require it after any restart that might happen in the meantime. It's not about the visualization of it so much as the functionality. Am I making sense? :-)

By the way, I'd just like to throw it out there that I think you guys rock: I love what you're doing, how you are cleverly implementing the whole thing with regards to Teams & Families (I read your white paper), and the communication. Thanks!

\m/

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @swivelman Ah ha, now that makes more sense.

I'll make note of this and see what other types of requests we get. I suspect your case probably isn't unique, but it's also probably not going to be a very common request either. I could very well be wrong though so lets see what others say and maybe we can take another look at it.

Due to the way this is currently implemented it'll probably require some fairly major rewrites of stuff so not really a quick thing that can be done, which means it would have to be planned for a bit more.

Thanks for the kind words as well. We have some incredibly smart people on this team and it's really amazing working with them. I like to think I'm in a pretty unique position every day, getting to learn from them :)

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member

Thank you for the awesome new feature! Btw, the localization seems not to be updated to Crowdin yet for some reason, @AGKyle have you information on this? I don't see any good reason for @swivelman's suggestion, since a restart shouldn't be a reason for requesting master password. Yeah, iOS does this, but I'm not sure why. Probably just for that users wouldn't forgot their passcode since it's needed in some situations like changing it etc. :)

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ollifi

Thank you for the kind comments. :) It was a requested feature from users like yourself so you all made it happen, not me.

As for the crowdin side of things, those should show up tomorrow :) Normally our beta schedule is Tuesday and Friday, but we had some delays this week in getting some major features reviewed (like this TouchID one) in time on Tuesday so we pushed it to Wednesday. In doing so we didn't update our translations for these changes. However, for tomorrow's beta we'll update the translations both from the app to Crowdin and from Crowdin to the app. So you should see those ready to translate tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for helping with those translations, it's a thankless job I'm sure, but we really do appreciate the time and effort our translators put into helping make 1Password available in more languages.

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member

Thanks for the extra info; I appreciate : )

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

@ollifi My pleasure.

Let us know if you have any other questions though and thanks for all that you do :)

• AdamP
    AdamP
    Community Member

I don't see any good reason for @swivelman's suggestion, since a restart shouldn't be a reason for requesting master password.

@ollifi, I think you and I are actually in agreement with not wanting to have to re-enter the master password on reset. The way it is currently set up now is that if you choose anything other than "Never", 1Password requires the master password on restart as well as whatever timeout period is chosen.

My suggestion to separate that choice is specifically to be able to choose not to require it on restart, regardless of any timeout.

• ollifi
    ollifi
    Community Member

@swivelman Oh, okay! Then I totally agree with you! :) Thanks for the clarification!

• Thanks, all, for the great discussion here.

• face
    face
    Community Member

Ehm i've the TouchID enabled on last beta available but it continues to ask for general pssword after a restart: why?

• @face what do you have set for 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password?

• face
    face
    Community Member

Ehm ... After a restart :)
    Now i setup to never and it works like a charm.
    Sorry i'm not aware of this new setup ...

• No worries, face. Glad to hear that worked. "Never" is supposed to be the new default, but we had a bit of a bug where some beta testers had the default set to "after a restart" by mistake.

Changing the option to "never" should resolve that. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.