Where does 1Password for Families store my passwords? On your servers, my devices, or both?

Options
roywmartin
roywmartin
Community Member

When I migrate to Families, will my passwords move from my central repository on my network to Agilebits servers?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Where does 1Password for Families store my passwords? On your servers, my devices, or both?

Comments

• Aleen
    Aleen
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @roywmartin,

1Password Families and Teams data lives on our US-based Amazon Web Services servers and on the devices where you set up your Families account. You can read more about our commitment to privacy and our commitment to security. If you're really interested in the details, we even have an in-depth security white paper you can peruse!

I hope this helps :)

• roustem
    edited March 2016
    Options

@roywmartin The apps will also keep the copy of your data but the primary location will be on our servers.

For many years we refused to have anything with storing our customers' data. Because of that, when we started implementing 1Password for Families, we made sure that our servers have as little information about your data as possible. We are paranoid about it. Your data is fully encrypted before it is sent out. There is no way for us or anyone else outside your account to decrypt it.

We also added Account Key to make encryption in 1Password for Families stronger than anything we had before.

At the same, storing your encrypted data in a central location provides you with features that were not possible before:

• Your data is backed up automatically
    • You can see the history of individual vault items and restore them when needed.
    • You can access your data using any modern web browser
    • Vaults can easily be shared with family members
    • Access to vaults can be read-only
    • No need to purchase individual licenses for each app. All future app upgrades are included as well.
    • If someone in your family forgets the Master Password or Account Key, another family owner will be able to recover their access.
  • hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Access to vaults can be read-only

This is, so far, not actually the case for Familes. I and others have argued that even family users need this, to keep kids or aging family members from making accidental modifications. I'm just making note again that this feature of Teams really is important to families too.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016
    Options

Beta 70 Release Notes - AgileBits Support Forum ;)

Hopefully that helps a number of families.

Ben

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@bwoodruff -
    Well, hooray! Since I'm using Familes, and not Teams, I haven't been following the Teams beta forum. This is very good news indeed. I take back what I said a couple of minutes ago. That is welcome news.

Apologies for calling @roustem down on that quote.

(I do realize Families is derived from Teams, so maybe I should start watching that forum section.)

• Ben
    Options

We've talked about how to best make the release notes available across Families & Teams (since they are applicable to both). I think we'll likely have a better solution once Teams is out of beta. :)

Ben

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff when will that be? Maybe you could add the release notes to the teams/families page. I mean the team/familie interface not the official side (families.1password.com)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's something we've considered. But I think we'd like to have an even better, more accessible solution than that. :)

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    Options

roustem writes: "The apps will also keep the copy of your data but the primary location will be on our servers." And then, "You can access your data using any modern web browser."

1. So in addition to the "primary" location on your (i.e. Amazon's) servers, local copies are saved to computers where the app is installed — sort of like Apple iCloud data?

2. What happens if I need a password and I don't have internet access? If the answer to question 1 is that passwords are synced and that there's a local copy on each computer or device, then I guess that answers this question too. Just wanted to confirm — or find out what's different if answer to #1 is no.

3. Does that mean I wouldn't use Dropbox for our password files any more?

Thanks.

Will

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@williamporter The client applications do keep a synchronized copy of your data, which answers questions 1 and 2, and then yes, three means Dropbox is not used with Teams or Families, AgileBits runs the servers that maintain copies of the data instead. Which is really the same idea but they can implement a better web interface, sharing, and sync features customized to their specific data rather than the file-level sync Dropbox provides (though it does provide that exceptionally well). The concept, of the third party storing your data not having access to that encrypted data itself, is still similar.

--David, not from AgileBits

• Ben
    Options

Indeed. Thanks for chiming in here dszp. I think you've covered everything just as well as I could have. :)

Ben

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I was under the impression that your Primary Vault is still local and not under the control of Families. I moved all the entries out to my Personal Vault, and now the only thing in Primary is my 1Password Emergency Kit .. which I will always have access to outside of families. I use sync to sync this file to all my devices. Does this make sense?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @rr0ss0rr,

Yes, that seems like a reasonable solution, and your impressions are correct. :) I actually personally do a similar thing.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rr0ss0rr: Just to clarify, currently 1Password for Mac can be used in "Teams/Families-only mode" without a local primary vault when you set it up for the first time. In the future, the other apps will be able to as well. You're certainly free to keep local vaults around, but I know some folks want to be Teams/Families-only. Cheers! :)

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    Options

@rr0ss0rr says:

I was under the impression that your Primary Vault is still local and not under the control of Families. I moved all the entries out to my Personal Vault, and now the only thing in Primary is my 1Password Emergency Kit .. which I will always have access to outside of families. I use sync to sync this file to all my devices. Does this make sense?

Well, I'd like to understand this better. Is rr0ss0rr describing a hybrid system, using both Dropbox (to sync the 'primary vault') and Agilebits' new families servers as well?

Will

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016
    Options

It is possible to have vaults that are part of a 1Password for Families account, and also have vaults that are not (which could be synced via another supported method). 1Password for Families vaults can only be synced by the 1Password for Families service. They cannot be synced via Dropbox, etc.

Ben

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben, for the clarification. Ability to use both Agilebits' servers and Dropbox/iCloud provides an extra level of flexibility that I guess is useful for some folks.

Will

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome.

I use a local vault to store the credentials for my various Families and Teams accounts. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.