Search everything does not include attachment file names

Options
twilsonco
twilsonco
Community Member

Hello,

I won't bother to include details since the undesired behavior's pretty simple. Create a new item and attach a file to it such that the name of the file does not match any of the other contents of the item. No search for the file name and nothing comes up when search everything is like. (I'm seeing this behavior for a secure note so it might not happen for all item types)

Can I request that this feature be added please?

Thanks,

Tim

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the suggestion! I just tried this myself but I had a different experience because I'm using 1Password for Families. With 1Password for Families there aren't really attachments anymore... Attachments have been replaced by Documents, which are their own separate items in your vault (and items that previously had them attached now have a link to the new Document item). So, when I searched, I did indeed get the "attachment" (document) I was looking for, but I did not get the Secure Note that it is linked from.

I'll pass the feedback along to our development team for their consideration. At the moment their focus is on Documents though.

Ben

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff I think it is very poor support to answer someone's query by saying "I'm using a different version so can't check". Could you have not passed this to someone who could respond in a more worthwhile manner. I would have thought a support department would have had access to all platforms.

• Ben
    Options

@tonydow,

I'm sorry if my response came across that way -- it was not my intention. I was not questioning whether the OP's report of how things operate was accurate. I trust that it is. I simply wanted to see if my experience, with my setup, would be the same, and for the most part was thinking "out loud."

The important bit of my response is:

I'll pass the feedback along to our development team for their consideration. At the moment their focus is on Documents though.

Thanks.

Ben

• tonydow
    tonydow
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff @twilsonco I still feel your original response leaves the user not knowing if this is a definite problem or something he is doing that may have caused the issue. Saying you will pass feedback closes the issue leaving the user uncertain. It should have been answered by someone using an equivalent setup.

• Ben
    Options

You're right Tony: I'm sorry. 1Password does not currently search the file names of attachments. That is something we may be able to improve in the future, but our current development focus in this area is with the Documents feature of 1Password for Families / 1Password for Teams. My point in adding that information is that any changes with attachments will not likely happen in the imediate future, unless they coincide with changes we're making for Documents.

Ben

• twilsonco
    twilsonco
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff,

Is regular 1Password being phased out in favor of for Families and for Teams?
    I like the idea behind Families/Teams with easy secure sharing, but I make great use of attachments (e.g. pdfs of registration/insurance/title/warranty for my car, of pdfs of benefits/rewards/image of card for credit cards) and would hate to seem them go if I wanted to be able to sync things between family members. How can I best voice this to developers so that they consider leaving attachments as they are in additions to adding documents?

And thanks @tonydow for the support!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @twilsonco

The standalone 1Password apps are still being developed, and are an important component of our 1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams services. A subscription to either includes all of our compatible client apps.

Documents are an improved replacement for traditional attachments in Families/Teams only. We do not have plans to remove the ability to use attachments within "local" vaults (which may be synced via Dropbox, iCloud, etc).

I also make extensive use of both attachments (when using local vaults) and Documents (when using Families/Teams vaults). :)

I hope that helps.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.