My master password is not working on a new iphone even though it found existing data in iCloud?

Options
gkwiecien10
gkwiecien10
Community Member

I recently switched phones from an iphone 5c to a iphone 5s. I did this switch myself by switching the sim cards.
I downloaded 1password for my new iphone 5s. When i open 1password it asks if i want to 1. create new vault 2. sync existing vault or 3. sign into teams account. I choose sync existing vault. I then choose sync with iCloud. It says 1Password found existing data in iCloud. It will be used to create a new vault on this iPhone. I click continue. It asks me to unlock Primary Vault. This is where my master password does not work. I went back to my old device (iphone 5c) and tried the master password and it works. So I dont know how to get my vault on my new iphone?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gkwiecien10,

congratulations on your new iPhone :)

It sounds like you have old data in your iCloud. But as you still have the old iPhone around we can get your data transferred to the new device. First I'd suggest to make a backup of your 1Password data of your iPhone 5c using the following guide:

https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/

Now please check if you set up any syncing for 1Password on your old iPhone by going to Settings > Vaults > Primary. Do you see a sync service or do you see Start Syncing?

• gkwiecien10
    gkwiecien10
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry. The old iphone has been wiped clean and given to someone else...

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gkwiecien10 now that is bad news. Let's see if we can get your data from any other place.

Do you have any backups of your 1Password data? Did you ever sync your 1Password with any other device - like a computer for example?

• gkwiecien10
    gkwiecien10
    Community Member
    Options

The only place I had 1password was on my iphone. I have never used it on and iPad or iMac.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016
    Options

In that case the only solutions are going to be restoring a device backup (may need to restore twice):

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

Or, failing that, starting fresh. :( I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. We're working on making it more clear that by default your 1Password data is only stored on the device that you create it on. The loss/theft/damage of that device will likely result in data loss, and explain the steps necessary to prevent that.

If you are faced with starting over, I'd suggest taking a look at our new 1Password for Families subscription. With 1Password for Families your encrypted data is stored on our service, and so the loss of a device would not result in data loss. This comes with many other added benefits as well:

1Password for Families

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

ref: OPI-3396

This discussion has been closed.