Version 6

scgf
scgf
Community Member

It is not showing on Google Play. I'm a beta tester too and haven't been offered any version 6 betas :( What do I need to do?

1Password Version: 4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 6.01
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• scgf
    scgf
    Community Member

OK, got it. On the Play Store it just said 'Installed' and no update option was given. I clicked 'Installed' and it proceeded to update to version 6. Odd.

• @scgf That is odd! I'm glad to hear you were able to update to 1Password 6.0.

• Snpbond
    Snpbond
    Community Member

I'm just going to hop onto this thread since it's related to 6. I've had to remove the 4.x beta to install 6.0 and that's fine. However it shows me as in a 30 day trial, yet I've purchased 1Password and have my 1Password 5 license in (which activates on Windows/OSX)...am I missing something?

• DML
    DML
    Community Member

I got the notification from the Play Store yesterday, however when I attempted to install it said it required access to the camera! What? Why would a password keeper application need access to the camera?

Needless to say I declined.

I'm off to look for an alternative app after the lamentable level of support given to the Android version.

Who would have thought that "really important", and "real soon" would be measured in years!

Very disappointed. So glad I didn't waste my money getting the Windows version.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

@DML Camera is required to scan QR codes to facilitate setting up a Teams account. If you upgrade your device to Android 6, the camera permission is not requested until or unless you actually invoke the QR scanner.

• Snpbond
    Snpbond
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Disregard my earlier post, I forgot the Android app is an additional fee...I was riding the Beta train since last spring so didn't purchase premium.

• SteBae
    SteBae
    Community Member

Is this a staged roll out? I'm on version 6.0b3 and I don't get any offer to update to version 6.0.

• SteBae
    SteBae
    Community Member

Okay I had to revert back to version 4.5.3 and temporarily leave the beta program to get the official version 6.0.

• kosmiq
    kosmiq
    Community Member

On the beta channel and not getting an upgrade. Perhaps you need to push the new version in the beta channel as well?

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

Folks, Beta 3 was the release candidate - it's probably identical to the public release. In any case, beta testers are supposed to get a new beta late this week or early next.

• I'm sorry for the confusion folks. @EnergJi is right, beta 3 was the release candidate.

Beta testers were supposed to get a new 6.1 beta very soon, and in fact, we even sent out a newsletter saying that it was published already. Somehow @Nik, @mverde, and I got our signals crossed and sent the newsletter a bit too early. Sorry for adding to the confusion!

With any luck we'll have a 6.1 beta out to you tomorrow, if not Thursday.

• peh803
    peh803
    Community Member

I actually got excited seeing the camera permission added in 1password v6. I was hoping this indicated movement towards adding image support to secure notes / entries where appropriate. This is the only feature that has me looking at other alternatives on Android, and I'm already a fully licensed, paying windows 1password customer and have also paid for the android premium version. Any plans to add image support to android? For some reason, I thought I recalled reading that images are supported on iOS (or maybe just the OSX client?). Anyway, make my day and tell me it's coming (or better yet, it's here)!

Thx in advance,
    Phil

• Hello @peh803,

I'm sorry that camera permission got you excited for no reason. I agree completely that adding the ability to take pictures and add them to items would be an awesome feature. It's one I absolutely want added so I can use it myself :)

As cool as this feature is, I don't want to give the impression that it's on the short list. We have several awesome features we need to work on already and with any luck image support will bubble up on the priority list afterwards.

Regarding which other clients support this, iOS does not. It is the Windows and Mac clients that support adding attachments.

Take care,

++dave;

• peh803
    peh803
    Community Member

Hi @dteare - thanks so much for the response and clarification on where image functionality is supported. Like you, I'm looking forward to getting it on Android, since I have the convenience of a high quality camera built-in to my phone, whereas, it's more of an ordeal having to add images via my laptop. At any rate, I really do appreciate you getting back to me on this one. Looking forward to seeing this in a future beta, even if (as you suggest) it's not imminent.

Best,
    Phil

• You're very welcome, Phil :)

Thanks again for sharing with us. Take care,

++dave;

• jkm_jr
    jkm_jr
    Community Member

"If you upgrade your device to Android 6, the camera permission is not requested", well that's a nice cop out but it does those of us who's carrier either never or very slowly upgrade devices, no good. My carrier has indicated I'm stuck at 5.1.1 so every time an app I've purchased exhibits permission creep, it stops me from upgrading. This is disappointing ...

• saad
    edited March 2016

@jkm_jr As mentioned above, the only place the camera is used is when you explicitly open the QR Scanner in Settings > 1Password for Teams > Add account > Scan QR code. We don’t use the camera anywhere else.

The permission system has changed with Android Marshmallow (6.0) as it now supports runtime permissions. This allows us to accept or deny a permission when an app requests it. We no longer have to approve all permissions at the time of installation like it is done on older versions of Android. We cannot offer the same feature on older versions of Android because the operating system simply does not support it.

This discussion has been closed.