Dealing with Apple Updates

Options
Bill.
Bill.
Community Member

With the IOS 9.3 update, I was unable to access phone features until after I manually entered my Apple password. From the help screen, it has something to do with the "find my phone" feature that's associated with the phone. To manually enter my password is not a trivial exercise. My password is a combination of 25 letters, numbers and characters, which I thought was a good idea until having to poke at my phone to enter it manually. It is a ridiculous hoop to jump through to get into the phone where I can finally access 1Password.

Given that Apple now uses two-factor authentication, I am tempted to just use an easy password for Apple and rely on two-factor authentication for it's strong security feature.

What is your opinion on that?

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi @Bill.

I don't think an "easy" (read: insecure) password is the way to go for an account as important as your Apple ID. What may be helpful though is using a diceware password for it:

Generate a password | 1Password for iOS

You can use the "words" tab of the password generator to create a diceware password. Passwords generated using this method are generally easier to remember and type, but still secure.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Bill.
    Bill.
    Community Member
    Options

According to what I recently read, there was a problem with the iOS 9.3 update that forced users of older devices to input their passwords in order to gain access. Since this appears to be an isolated incident, it's an easier decision to keep a secure password. Regardless, 2 factor authentication does make it tempting to reduce password size.

Thanks for your perspective.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update! :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.