1Password Families work with OSX Lion? Sync via WiFi?

Options
mjk
mjk
Community Member

Hi, I'm considering buying a license to 1Password-Families. I'm on OSX El Capitan (10.11) and my wife is on OSX Lion (10.7). Will the software work on both of our computers?
Also, is it possible for us to sync information between our computers via our own private WiFi device (or using a USB stick) and not needing to store any information on the Agile server?
Thanks very much!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi, I'm considering buying a license to 1Password-Families. I'm on OSX El Capitan (10.11) and my wife is on OSX Lion (10.7). Will the software work on both of our computers?

@mjk: Only 1Password 3 is supported on OS Lion, and since it hasn't been in active development for years it will not be updated for 1Password for Families (or newer browsers and OSes). 1Password for Mac version 6 (on El Capitan or Yosemite) is required for 1Password for Families. However, on an older Mac vaults can be accessed through the web interface.

Also, is it possible for us to sync information between our computers via our own private WiFi device (or using a USB stick) and not needing to store any information on the Agile server? Thanks very much!

No. Wi-Fi Sync works between a single computer and one or more mobile devices. However, you can absolutely use 1Password and transfer data between computers manually using a USB drive, but that would be quite separate from 1Password for Families. After all, the whole point of 1Password for Families is being able to manage and share data between family members without fiddling with sync settings, and for all of that to be possible the encrypted data needs to be stored on the server.

To be clear, when you use 1Password, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the setup you choose. Even with 1Password for Families, your data is encrypted on your device, so all the server ever ends up with is an encrypted blob. And since the Account Key is created locally and your Master Password is never transmitted and only known by you, no one — including AgileBits — has the means to decrypt the data.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• mjk
    mjk
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you!

• Ben
    Options

On behalf of Brenty you are most welcome! If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.