can't find my family account

Options
lisalemberger
lisalemberger
Community Member

I started a 1Password trial and loaded in most of my logins. then I saw the new 1Password Family option. I started a family account, I have my vaults, login, emergency kit and all that. Sent my husband an invite. I got the 1password family on my iPhone and iPad but don't see any login info listed I do see there are 27 items on my phone in the primary vault, but I don't see the details of the log ins. I'm totally confused. I haven't paid any money yet. on my laptop, it looks like I've added the logins to the original 1Password and the Family version (on phone and iPad) are empty. Hope I don't have to start over. I"m totally confused... (should I post my phone number???)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS EX El Captain
Sync Type: wi-fi
Referrer: kb:teams-families-migrate

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lisalemberger,

I sincerely apologize for the confusion here, and I'll do what I can to help you get this straightened out just as soon as possible.

It sounds to me like your data is currently stored in the trial 1Password app on your Mac, is that correct? If so, what we'll want to do is add your 1Password Families account to 1Password on your Mac. Then, we can move the items from your primary vault to the Families account.

Here's how to add your Families account to 1Password, from our User Guide. Because you already have 1Password installed, you can skip step 1, and move along to step 2. :)

Once you're logged into your Families account in 1Password on your Mac, you can select all the items in your primary vault and move them into your Families vaults:

1. Click on the first item in the list
    2. Shift-click on the last item in the list (to select the whole list)
    3. Right-click to bring up the menu
    4. Select 'Share' and pick the vault you wish to move your items into

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions, we're here for you.

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan
    Thanks for getting back to me. Yes, the data is in the trial 1Password app on my Mac, iPhone and iPad. When I sign in to 1Password on my Mac, but I don't see the "sign in for Families" screen. The right side of the screen is Favorites, Categories, etc and the left side lists out the 27 logins i've already entered. Do I need to re-down load the 1Password for Family to the Mac?

Lisa

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@lisalemberger: Sorry for the confusion! 1Password for Families (and Teams) isn't a separate app. It's an account you login to to access your data. It sounds like you've already setup a 1Password vault locally on your Mac which is why you're not getting the "first time" options — you're already using it! Do you already have data saved in 1Password for Mac that you want to keep, or would you just as soon start over and login to your 1Password for Families account instead? Please let me know! :)

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hello
    Yes, I have a vault on my Mac and have some logins saved. I did sign up for 1password family. Below is the sign in link but I can't access it for some reason. I re-entered my email, the key and my master password but it's not working.

Your Family sign-in link
    (EDITED by moderator to remove private sign in link, forwarded to the staff for checking. ~thightower )

I don't mind starting over in the 1password family account, but I can't get in.

Lisa

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Lisa ( @lisalemberger ),

Thanks for clarifying! Now, if you're having difficulty signing in to the web interface of 1Password Families, that sounds like a different issue, but since you were able to set up 1Password Families on your mobile devices, I'm interested to see if we can get it installed on your Mac as well.

Let's try this:

• Open 1Password and select Preferences > Teams
    • Click on the '+' button to add your Families account
    • If you have the Emergency Kit with the QR code on your computer, you can use the QR scanner, or you can enter your information manually.

Does this add your Families account to 1Password on your Mac?

If you're seeing an error message, please be sure to let me know the exact text there. This will help us track down where things are going wrong.

• lisalemberger
    lisalemberger
    Community Member
    Options

Hello
    I am making progress. I followed the steps above and I now see the Family Vaults on my mac, iPad and iPhone. Now I need to move all the log in stuff from the primary to my personal. and set up a vault for my husband. I will try to figure this out on my own and get back to you if I need help. BTW thanks for the edit to my last email. As soon as I posted it i realized I'd done something stupid. You can see why I need help. ;)

Lisa

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

Hilight the item or items in your local vault (or control-A to select all) Go to the "Item" menu, Select "Share", Select your Family vault, then Select "Copy" or "Move"

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@lisalemberger

To move data from a personal vault to a specific families/teams vault, this link should help. https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/mac.html
    See the last section, about import data into new account and using the copy / move menu.

Basically select the item, in the personal vault and move it to the desired family/team vault. You can select all and then move the items in bulk.

Tip: I would make sure to keep the older vault around till you are certain everything was transferred. I always err on the side of caution and its served me well over the years. Having said that, I have never had an issue moving items to a teams vault. But I like to be safe. :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@lisalemberger I just set up 1P on my new Mac and synced my Families account over no problem. However, I notice on the Mac I no longer have a primary vault - just the vaults I created in Families web version. Do you know how I can put my Primary vault back into Mac App so that I might do what @rr0ss0rr suggests and store my emergency kit there. The Primary folder is on my iOS device but I can't get the Emergency Kit into the Primary folder. Any thoughts?

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@thightower I just set up 1P on my new Mac and synced my Families account over no problem. However, I notice on the Mac I no longer have a primary vault - just the vaults I created in Families web version. Do you know how I can put my Primary vault back into Mac App so that I might do what @rr0ss0rr suggests and store my emergency kit there. The Primary folder is on my iOS device but I can't get the Emergency Kit into the Primary folder. Any thoughts?

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

You may have switched to "All Vaults" view .. In the Mac 1P Window Upper left .. Click on "All Vaults" or it may show another vault name and select Primary ..

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@iamecho

If you started from scratch and need to enable personal vaults. Open the 1Password preferences and then advanced. Check the button to enable personal vaults. You will need to unlock 1Password first.

ps. I like @rr0ss0rr 's Idea too. I must say it makes a lot of sense to me too.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@thightower You are a genius! However, before doing this I see this warning:

Am I correct in thinking once I click this option I will not be able to remove Primary if I ever decide to?

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@iamecho

Right now its slightly problematic to remove the primary vault. It is entirely doable, but not easily. :( I have done it, and then added it back much as your contemplating.

In my understanding it will get easier in the future. But I have seen no details on future plans, nor would I, as I am not staff.

You are a genius!

lol No, someone just pointed in the correct direction some time ago. ;)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@thightower Thank you for your time & insights. Have a happy Easter.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@thightower I'm not sure we'd score any points at 1P for doing what we're doing after reading this. Hmmm, food for thought.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@iamecho

Yeah, its a HUGE personal decision and needs to be taken very seriously as it affects your security.
    I like it because it can be in iCloud and available for a easy restore. No matter where I am. Since I travel so much. I am rarely at my printed copy except for 5-8 days a month.

For me being a road warrior, having it in iCloud, and or Dropbox is safer than transporting it with me while I travel. Additionally its printed somewhere safe too. If it ever comes to needing that copy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yeah, its a HUGE personal decision and needs to be taken very seriously as it affects your security.

@iamecho: I'll echo (ha!) thightower's sentiments here. ;)

While we certainly recommend storing your Emergency Kit in the safest place possible, we realize that this will mean different things to different people. Ultimately we each need to do our best to balance our individual needs when it comes to exactly where we store our Emergency Kits. :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty @thightower Thanks for weighing in with your thoughts @brenty . I know putting the E.K. in a locked box in the bank would be the ideal solution, and I may just end up doing that, but there is something appealing to storing it as a standalone item in the Primary folder with no sync set up. However, that wouldn't be so handy if I got amnesia and forgot the password, which takes me back to needing it somewhere accessible and off any hackable, stealable gadget. Maybe I'll have it monogrammed on the inside of my dog's (echo) collar. Enjoy your Sunday!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

However, that wouldn't be so handy if I got amnesia and forgot the password, which takes me back to needing it somewhere accessible and off any hackable, stealable gadget. Maybe I'll have it monogrammed on the inside of my dog's (echo) collar.

@iamecho: Just keep in mind that you can access your Account Key in 1Password on an authorized device, and it's secured in the app by your Master Password. :)

Enjoy your Sunday!

You too! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.