How to use 1Password and 1Password Team on desktop and iPhone?

salklein
salklein
Community Member

I have used 1Password Windows for years, personally. I am just now setting up 1Password for Teams for our church. If I am on my desktop, all I have access to is my personal 1Password in the Firefox taskbar. I thought I could put my Teams password in to open another vault but that doesn't work. Can you use the shortcut on the task bar for both?

Another question. I have not invited any staff yet in the Teams. Personal vault - I put my personal logins that have to do with church. The Shared vault - I put all the church-wide logins that staff MIGHT need. When I invite someone to join Teams - will they see all the shared? That isn't what I want. I only want them to have access to the passwords that they need. Am I setting this up correctly.

Thanks,
Sally

Comments

• Hi Sally,

We are still working on 1Password for Windows that supports both Teams and the browser extensions (Firefox). At the moment, it is possible to see, edit, and share Teams items but you can't yet use them in the browser without copy-and-paste.

You are correct about the Shared vault. Every team member that invite to the Team will immediately see all items in the Shared vault. If you would like to have better control over sharing, you could create additional vaults and share them with the team members. You can move or copy items between the vaults to give people access.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions :)

• salklein
    salklein
    Community Member

Is it best to set up each team member with their own vault and put the passwords that they need in their vault?

• @salklein That's a great question. I was actually just discussing this with someone in another thread. I'd recommend reading my post there for a more detailed idea of how you can do things. Basically, you can create a vault to send things to people, or you can put those things in the Shared vault, which new members are added to automatically, and they can move them into their Personal one. We're hoping to streamline the process in the future, but right now vaults are a great way of doing this.

• salklein
    salklein
    Community Member

I still can't get a handle on what this looks like. I am the admin, so it looks like I should make a vault called Admin and put all the logins, etc in there where no one sees them except other admin that I share with. I don't still understand when I would use "Shared." Not every staff member needs all the passwords in the "Shared" folder, but they would have access to them if I put pw in there. Can I make a "Jeff" vault and only put logins that Jeff needs? But, if I put anything in "Shared", Jeff will see it along with everyone else, right? I'm just not getting the big picture.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I still can't get a handle on what this looks like. I am the admin, so it looks like I should make a vault called Admin and put all the logins, etc in there where no one sees them except other admin that I share with. I don't still understand when I would use "Shared."

@salklein: Depending on the situation, it may not be appropriate to use the Shared vault at all. For example, a home or business may have shared alarm codes, insurance information, etc. Or each person may have a separate code, and insurance may be the responsibility of a single individual or specific department. :sunglasses:

Not every staff member needs all the passwords in the "Shared" folder, but they would have access to them if I put pw in there.

While it's certainly simplest to just dump all non-personal data in Shared, remember that you have the freedom to create brand new vaults that can be shared with the specific people who need access. It's a bit more work to setup, but it's much more secure — or at least cuts down on clutter for those who don't need the information. ;)

Can I make a "Jeff" vault and only put logins that Jeff needs? But, if I put anything in "Shared", Jeff will see it along with everyone else, right? I'm just not getting the big picture.

Absolutely! You're on the right track. While Jeff has his own "Personal" vault, a separate "Jeff" vault may be more appropriate for information that only Jeff really needs, but that still really belongs to the organization. After all, Jeff's "Personal" vault is only ever accessible to him, and it can't be transferred to someone else later if that becomes necessary (though if you ask nicely Jeff might copy/move some items over for you).

Don't worry. The problem with the "big picture" is that there is no one-size-fits-all solution, so we just need to brainstorm to figure out what will work best for you. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.