Documents need an "always sync" option

Options

Hi folks,

Pre-Teams and pre-documents I had all my objects in the Primary vault, including Driving Licence and Passport, complete with scans of each. The Driving Licence has been a great help to be able to show ID on more than one occasion, and the Passport once helped me pick up my tickets from Eurostar quickly before a train was departing when I couldn't find my passport in my bag.

With Documents this has just become a little frustrating, as I now have to ensure that I have downloaded the document first. This is not always convenient, like when you're in a country where data will be £4 per MB or in a place where there just simply is no Internet connection.

I can understand that we wouldn't necessarily want to sync all Documents all the time to all devices, so how about a solution along the lines of a simple check box option on the Document properties which says something like "Always sync" or "Always download"? This would do a lot to help me be sure that I've always got what I need to hand when I need it (which I always used to pre-Documents with Attachments).

Thanks,
Tom

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @smallcheese! It's funny you mention this, because I was just discussing the possibility of deleting a Document once it's downloaded in another thread. We actually made downloading Documents more specific as a result of the discussion in this thread. I'd recommend giving that a read. Right now, Documents decrypt when you download and view them, and they will encrypt again when you lock 1Password next. Otherwise, they are decrypted on your filesystem. Automatically downloading them would compromise security a bit. Is that still something you'd be interested in?

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Having just read through that entire thread and spent 45 minutes doing so, I'm exhausted!

How is this behaviour bourne out in iOS? When we chose to download a Document in iOS I'm assuming it's still sitting encrypted in a sandbox so this poses no threat? It's actually more in the mobile version I'm interested in since I've always got the phone with me. However I did find the OS X discussion very interesting and will follow that.

The check box I add to kind of now becomes more nuanced following that thread reading, and would now likely say something like "Always sync to mobile" or something more indicative.

Short version: if there is no security risk on iOS then there are definitely some documents I want permanently available on that platform.

Thanks,
    Tom

• Ben
    Options

Hi Tom,

Short version: if there is no security risk on iOS then there are definitely some documents I want permanently available on that platform.

I can definitely see how that can be handy and agree that within your constraints would be a boon. It is something we're investigating. We're always very hesitant to add more preferences, more checkboxes, etc, but if this is something we can do securely I can see the benefit of it.

Ben

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, and just to state the case a little further, pre-teams/documents, this worked perfectly well with the primary vault and attachments.

It's not a new feature really, I'm just after the continued functionality of something which worked differently to the feature which replaced it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@smallcheese: It's definitely a bit of a tradeoff. And since you're wishing for the old way of doing things, that probably sounds like I agree with you, but you'd only be half right! ;)

The flip side of it is that not automatically downloading Documents is (when compared to attachments in local vaults) part of what makes 1Password for Teams, in my experience, blazingly fast.

So that's what I mean by tradeoffs: with the old attachments everything is available offline and you don't have a choice; whereas with Documents you have the option to download them to your device, but they aren't there by default. It's definitely something we think about.

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@brenty And I'm onboard with the change, but what I'm after is the ability to make that choice myself - at the moment you've made it for me. If I can get a fractionally slower experience which guarantees that I'll never be stuck at the terminal without any ID then I'm going to vote for that every time.

• I was thinking about having a "Download All Documents" option that would make sure all files are saved locally.

This discussion has been closed.