Just purchased Pro and while it works on my iPhone and iPad, it's not working on my Apple Watch.

antalmo
antalmo
Community Member

Today I purchased the Pro version of 1Password today from my iPhone through the App store, and while it works on my iPhone it doesn't work on my Apple Watch. On my Apple Watch, if I open the app, it tells me that "You can add items from the 1Password on your phone. Requires Pro features.
The Pro version also doesn't show on my iPad. Do I have to buy a separate version of Pro to work on my iPad?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: IOS 9.3
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Just purchased Pro and while it works on my iPhone and iPad, it's not working on my Apple Watch.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

@antalmo

No, it should work across devices. Try restoring the purchase and additionally the iPad must be using the same Apple ID used to purchase pro.

If that fails to work, please post back and one of the staff can try to assist you.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

That link above should go all the way to the "ios" portion the forum software is breaking the link. :(

Both seem to work properly though...

• antalmo
    antalmo
    Community Member

Hi, I restored the purchase on my iPad, and so now Pro Features is showing on it. But, I still see the message "You can add items from the 1Password on your phone. Requires Pro features." on my Apple Watch. Is there something else I can try? Thanks.

• Hi @antalmo,

That is the message you'll see if you haven't added any items from your iPhone. Have you actually added any items from 1Password for iOS to the Apple Watch? If not you can learn about how to do so here:

Set up 1Password for Apple Watch | 1Password for iOS

Please do note though that currently only items from the Primary vault can be added, which means this feature is not yet compatible with 1Password for Families or 1Password for Teams. We're working to improve that. :)

Ben

• antalmo
    antalmo
    Community Member

This worked! Thank you.
    My only question is how to get the PIN to work each time I open 1Password on my Apple Watch. If I leave the app and then go back in, it doesn't ask for my PIN. Is there a setting on my iPhone that can limit the time between opening and closing the app so that it will always ask for the PIN? In Settings it says "Setting a PIN code protects the items stored in the iOS key chain with that PIN code. You will be periodically required to enter this PIN code before using 1Password on your Apple Watch." Only periodically?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@antalmo: Unfortunately the word "periodically" doesn't really apply here. Neither you nor 1Password really has control over when the PIN is required on Apple Watch; rather, that's handled entirely by the OS. The way it works is that when you first launch the app, you'll need to enter the PIN. Then if you return to the app while it is still in memory, it will not be required. The only way to "force" that behaviour is to open multiple other apps, and then the oldest will be cleared out. This is part of the reason that information from 1Password is only stored on the Watch in a limited fashion. The best security you can get right now on Apple Watch is using a good passcode on it and have it required when you put it on, which will protect 1Password and everything else you have stored there, even if you've already unlocked 1Password itself. I hope this helps!

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Couldn't the developers request a 1Password specific pin code whenever watchOS calls willActivate()?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@XIII: Absolutely. I'll check with the development team, but if I'm not mistaken that would be visual only:

Doctor Hibbert: "Anything I give you would only be a placebo."
    Woman in Crowd: "Where do we get these placebos?"

We don't want 1Password to merely display a lock screen if your data isn't actually secured at that time.

• AGKyle
    AGKyle
    1Password Alumni

Hi @XIII

The way the lock screen works at the moment is a bit complicated. The PIN code does encrypt the data and the watch app does require the iPhone (or iPad) to be available since the app is a WatchKit 1 app at the moment and part of the app lives on the iOS device, the other part lives on the watch. This changes in WatchKit 2 and the app can live entirely on the watch and doesn't need the iOS device to access that data. This may require we rethink some of the lock options and things like that I think but I'm not sure we're at a point where we know what is going to happen there.

One thing we do want to be mindful of is adding options when users ask for them. This can quickly grow into an unwieldy preference screen so we probably won't be adding much in the way of options there, instead we'll be gathering feedback from users and probably adjusting the defaults and minimal number of options to fit the majority. We've had to redesign our iOS security preference pane several times and it's no easy task so we just really want to be careful here to reduce churn in that area and try to avoid confusing users.

Feedback is most definitely welcome just don't be too surprised if it doesn't get implemented for the reasons above. We're still trying to figure out what we're doing with the watch app for WatchKit 2 and how it relates to 1Password for Teams and Families. :) In other words, expect some of this to be in flux for awhile. Once it calms down we'll take another look at user feedback and see what kind of adjustments make sense and are technically possible.

If you're interested in providing more feedback while this is in development, you can try to get involved in our beta process where we'll likely be looking for feedback before it gets shipped to customers (it's not currently in the betas but will be there first before we ship it).

Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.