I forgot my master password, why can't I use my fingerprint on my iPad?

jowinett
jowinett
Community Member

I forgot my master password, why can't I use my fingerprint on my iPad?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:I lost my master password what do I do?, kb:forgot-master-password, kb:master-password-not-accepted

Comments

• jowinett
    jowinett
    Community Member

I can't remember my password. Why can't I use Touch ID to reset it? I have it set up and use to use it all the time.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: OSX 9.3
    Sync Type: iCloud
    Referrer: kb-search:I lost my master password what do I do?, kb:forgot-master-password, kb:master-password-not-accepted, kb-search:Fingerprint for password , kb:touch-id-faq

• Hi @jowinett,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. It appears you've already reviewed our article about what to do if you've forgotten your Master Password, so I'll just stick to answering your question about your fingerprint. If you have further questions about how to move forward, please let me know.

1Password encrypts your data using your Master Password, not your fingerprint. When you turn Touch ID on what is actually happening is that your Master Password is being securely stored in the iOS keychain, protected by your fingerprint. When 1Password would normally ask for your Master Password it instead first checks to see if iOS already has it (in the iOS keychain). If it does, iOS will ask you to authenticate with Touch ID to unlock the keychain and provide 1Password with your Master Password.

As you can see this can only happen if iOS has your Master Password. If it doesn't, there isn't anything for it to give to 1Password, and your data cannot be decrypted unless you enter your Master Password yourself.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• @jowinett

I've just merged your other thread on the same subject with this one. Please try to keep all discussion about a particular issue contained to a single thread. Thanks!

Ben

• mmmbop
    mmmbop
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

Hi Ben,

I don't want to open a new thread so I put mine here. Could agilebits put an option to unlock by Touch ID even after device restart in the next update? In my haste to secure everything when my email and iTunes account were hijacked, I changed most of the passwords including the master password. I understand that the master password is the main security and Touch ID is a convenient way of doing it. However, when agilebits starts offering Touch ID, in a way some people like me tends to take granted of the master's one. Please make it happen. All of the important particulars like banks' etc is in that vault and I can't remember any of it because I have just recently changed it.

• Hi @mmmbop,

Yes, that is something we're seriously considering. So seriously in fact that it is included in the current beta release. That said, there will still be some leg work to do if you forget your Master Password. While you may be able to access your data via Touch ID backing up, setting up syncing, etc will still require the Master Password. But at least you'll be able to manually copy your data out.

This is a fairly significant change, at least in the way we think about the Master Password on iOS. In the past we had not really considered this approach as our feeling was that folks need to type their Master Password on occasion in order to remember it. Well, we've found that unfortunately even when required to type it after a reboot folks forget. As such we feel it'd be better to have folks at least be able to access their data via Touch ID in this event.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ben

• mmmbop
    mmmbop
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

That's a ray of hope. I really hope it gets into the update as soon as possible. Being silly I am, I kept the master password in the notes section of the vault rather than notes app of iPhone. Which means if only I can get thru by Touch ID, the problem will be solved. Looking forward to the update. Many thanks.

• @mmmbop,

Unfortunately I'm not sure this change will help in your specific case. You still have to have the Master Password in the iOS keychain to enable the option. If you can't get into your vault at the time the feature is implemented the feature will not give you access (we can't decrypt data we don't have the key for).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.