Changed master password which is not syncing to other devices

Options
PrincessPohan
PrincessPohan
Community Member

I've read through old posts (latest being from 2015) describing the same issues I'm having. I changed my master password on my iphone and it's not syncing with my other devices. I have the latest version of 1password and syncing through dropbox. Any suggestions other than changing all devices manually?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 9.3
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:master password not syncing

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @PrincessPohan,

Thanks for taking the time to write in.

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble changing your Master Password. The typical process for this would be to change your Master Password on one device, login to each other device with the old Master Password (so that changes can sync), and then unlock 1Password with the new Master Password. From then on 1Password should only unlock using the new Master Password.

If the change does not work like that, unfortunately the quickest way to resolve that will likely be to change the Master Password on each device.

We have some details on how this works behind the scenes available in a blog post here:

AgileBits Blog | How 1Password syncs changes to your Master Password

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Ben

• PrincessPohan
    PrincessPohan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response. I went into my iPhone and changed the master password and it said it was accepted. When I went back to login it would only open using the old master password.

• Ben
    Options

@PrincessPohan,

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but that sounds like it follows what I said above? The first time you unlock a device after changing your Master Password you'll need the old Master Password. Once you've unlocked once with the old password and a sync occurs then you should be able to unlock with the new Master Password thereafter.

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.