What's the easiest way to sync between a Windows 7 PC and a Mac running OS Yosemite (no dropbox)

cardinalchris
cardinalchris
Community Member
edited March 2016 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I'm running 1password on both a Windows 7 laptop and a Macbook running iOS. I cannot use Dropbox on the PC (work machine). So what's the best way for me to sync up 1password across these devices? I don't want to have to enter everything twice. iCloud sync appears to be only for Mac to iOS. I tried to wifi sync, and it asked me to setup Bonjour, which I did, but that appears to be only for Mac to iOS. Is there any direct way for me to sync from the PC to the Mac? I'm happy to setup an iPhone as an intermediary device, but I don't know how.

Comments

• Hi @cardinalchris,

The Bonjour service is not limited to Mac, you should be able to use Wi-Fi sync between your PC and iOS but it is not possible to sync between multiple computers at the same time, so you can't use the iPhone as an intermediary device for both computers, it can only sync to one computer.

However, beside Dropbox, is there anything else you can use, like OneDrive or Google Drive? Some companies don't allow Dropbox but would allow OneDrive.

If nothing is allowed, your best option is to use a USB drive to copy the vault manually between PC and Mac, would this work?

• cardinalchris
    cardinalchris
    Community Member
    edited March 2016

Hi @MikeT

I appreciate you getting back on this so quickly. Just to be sure I understand you- WiFi sync using Bonjour is no-go for Mac to PC?

I checked, and I do have access to Google Drive. How can I set that up for sync (ie, have both my Mac and PC pointed at the same file living in gDrive)?

Thanks!

• Hi @cardinalchris,

Just to be sure I understand you- WiFi sync using Bonjour is no-go for Mac to PC?

Correct, it only works between one computer to multiple mobile devices but not between computers.

How can I set that up for sync (ie, have both my Mac and PC pointed at the same file living in gDrive)?

1. First, start with your Mac. Open 1Password, unlock, and go to the Help Menu > Tools to deselect Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder Sync.
    2. Now, enable Folder Sync and put the 1Password folder in your Google Drive folder. Let Google Drive finish its sync on the Mac and then wait for it to finish downloading on PC.
    3. Once the sync is done on the PC, open 1Password and go to the File Menu > Open 1Password vault to open the .agilekeychain folder in the Google Drive folder, it should then show you the unlock dialog.
This discussion has been closed.