Feature Request: support autocorrect in 1Password fields

chrispix
chrispix
Community Member

I have text shortcuts for the email addresses and usernames I commonly use. However, when I type those shortcuts in the username field when creating a login, they don't expand. It would save me some typing if they did.

1Password Version: 1Password Version 6.1 (610006) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Feature Request: support autocorrect in 1Password fields

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @chrispix,

Thanks for reaching out to us about that!

The way it's working for you now (i.e. text shortcuts don't expand, autocorrect doesn't work) is actually by design. In order for those features to work, the software in charge of expanding text shortcuts or correcting misspelled words must be able to "listen" to your keystrokes so it knows what you're typing. That's handy for legitimate apps that are meant to help, but the problem is that keyloggers also listen to keystrokes. Keyloggers are malware that wait and try to capture sensitive information that you type. To prevent keyloggers from seeing the information you type into 1Password, we enable Secure Input when you edit your items.

In other words, we do this on purpose for better security. Unfortunately there's no way allow only certain apps to see your keystrokes - enabling Secure Input will prevent both keyloggers as well as text expanding/auto-correcting software from working in 1Password. But if there's a way for us to reliably block one and not the other in the future, I'm sure our developers will look into it.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you about that! If you have more questions or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know. Cheers! :)

• chrispix
    chrispix
    Community Member

Cool, thanks for explaining how it works Drew.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

My pleasure! I'm glad that helped to explain why that happens, even though it probably wasn't the answer you were hoping for. But we're here for you if you need anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.