Are there plans to support Native OneDrive in Mac OS/X and IOS instead of Dropbox?

SkipDobrin
SkipDobrin
Community Member

The issue is that my company forbids the use of Dropbox. The only could services allowed are an in-house application and OneDrive.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 6.1
OS Version: OS X 10.11.4
Sync Type: Folder using OneDrive & WiFi
Referrer: forum-search:Are there plans to support Native OneDrive in Mac OS/X and IOS instead of Dropbox?

Comments

• Hi @SkipDobrin,

At present there are no definite plans to support OneDrive. Has your company considered 1Password for Teams? It is designed explicitly for such situations. :)

OneDrive isn't off the table, but it isn't likely that we'll see it in the near future.

Thanks!

Ben

• SkipDobrin
    SkipDobrin
    Community Member

Unfortunately that is not an option, as there is no corporate standard for password manager and are no plans to do so at this time.
    I am currently trying Folders on my Mac computers pointing to OneDrive and WiFi sync for my mobile devices.

In searching the blogs there have been requests to broaden your sync options for at least a couple of years, if not longer.
    I for one have been using 1Password since 2008 and I use it multiple times a day, but it may be time to look to other alternatives since your company seems to be stuck in a rut and does not seem to be able to climb out of it.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2016

In searching the blogs there have been requests to broaden your sync options for at least a couple of years, if not longer.

This is true. And one of the ways we are addressing that is with 1Password for Families and 1Password for Teams. Even if your company isn't going to commit to a password manager, 1Password for Families may allow you to accomplish what you are looking to accomplish.

I for one have been using 1Password since 2008 and I use it multiple times a day, but it may be time to look to other alternatives since your company seems to be stuck in a rut and does not seem to be able to climb out of it.

I'm not sure it is fair to say that we're in a rut. We developed both of the aformentioned services durning the timeframe you mentioned, both of which were huge leaps forward in terms of both ease of use and functionality.

That said, it is unlikely we'll be adding any 3rd party sync services to 1Password, beyond Dropbox and iCloud, in the near future.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer you were hoping for.

Ben

• SkipDobrin
    SkipDobrin
    Community Member

Does 1Password for Families work across Mac, IOS and Windows platforms. From a quick look at the website for 1Password for Families it appears that it only works across Mac, iOS, and Android. No windows support.

• The web interface works great on Windows. We also have a 1Password for Windows 10 beta available, which has Families support. We are working on further Windows support, and hope to have more to announce in the coming months.

Thanks!

Ben

• SkipDobrin
    SkipDobrin
    Community Member

Reading further down the page.

Your subscription includes the latest, full versions of the 1Password apps for Mac, iOS, and Android at no extra charge —Windows coming soon. I do see that there is a Windows 10 Beta available.

Seamless sync
    All your data appears instantly on all your devices. There is no sync service to set up.

if I install Families, will it transfer all my information from my current 1Password to Families?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SkipDobrin,

I'm very glad to see you've been looking into our new 1Password Families service! :) Just in case you have more questions about it, I've moved this discussion to our 'Families' forum.

if I install Families, will it transfer all my information from my current 1Password to Families?

When you sign into your Families account from the 1Password for Mac app, the vaults from your Families account will automatically appear there, and you can copy or move your items from local vaults to the new Families vaults. It doesn't happen automatically but it's very easy, and we explain more about that here: Migrate to a Family or Team account

We're here for you if you have more questions! :)

• finadeon
    finadeon
    Community Member

Some time ago I think I have come across the info that Windows 10 beta (alpha at the time) had Onedrive sync. Am I wrong? If I'm not, is Onedrive an option only for Windows then? I understand that time and money is limited, and your main focus will be towards Families anyway. But your product would be more seamless if it had same functionalities across all platforms.

I might switch to Families although I would be the only person using it. But I need local backup so that if some day Agilebits goes down I have the ability to get my data out using my backup.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Note: Since this discussion is about sync options in the standalone apps, I've relocated it from the 1Password Families category to the Lounge.

Some time ago I think I have come across the info that Windows 10 beta (alpha at the time) had Onedrive sync. Am I wrong? If I'm not, is Onedrive an option only for Windows then?

@finadeon: That's correct. Since OneDrive is built into Windows 10 (and more significantly, well-supported by Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform, which the 1Password for Windows 10 beta app is built on), we're able to support OneDrive there.

I understand that time and money is limited, and your main focus will be towards Families anyway. But your product would be more seamless if it had same functionalities across all platforms.

I couldn't agree more. As you point out, there's one really good reason to do it: consistency. But we do have to pick and choose what we spend our time and energy on. It may be something we add on other platforms in the future, but not in the short term. It's a lot more work outside of Microsoft's tools, and we don't have the resources to tacking something like that (in 4 other apps, no less) at this time.

I might switch to Families although I would be the only person using it. But I need local backup so that if some day Agilebits goes down I have the ability to get my data out using my backup.

Just to clarify, AgileBits doesn't self-host 1Password Families/Teas data; rather, it's hosted by Amazon Web Services. While they've certainly had downtime in the past, it's generally been brief and rare. To put things in perspective, they host most big data (with Microsoft's Azure and a few others making up the bulk of the remainder), so AWS downtime can't happen without big chunks of the web being affected.

There's a pretty big incentive for them to keep downtime to a minimum. But even if the worst happens and there's a problem or urgent maintenance, your 1Password Families/Teams data is cached locally on your device, so really the only thing you'd lose access to temporarily in that event would be the web interface. I hope this helps! :)

• finadeon
    finadeon
    Community Member

Just to clarify, AgileBits doesn't self-host 1Password Families/Teas data; rather, it's hosted by Amazon Web Services. While they've certainly had downtime in the past, it's generally been brief and rare. To put things in perspective, they host most big data (with Microsoft's Azure and a few others making up the bulk of the remainder), so AWS downtime can't happen without big chunks of the web being affected.

There's a pretty big incentive for them to keep downtime to a minimum. But even if the worst happens and there's a problem or urgent maintenance, your 1Password Families/Teams data is cached locally on your device, so really the only thing you'd lose access to temporarily in that event would be the web interface. I hope this helps! :)

A little off topic from the Onedrive, but I mostly meant that something would happen to the cloud data and it is lost permanently. I know that probability for this is very low, but you can't say it isn't possible. I then would have cached data on my device and would be able to export it somewhere? That is quite safe, but for for the extra safety it would be nice to be able to put that encrypted cached data to USB stick via some sort of backup function. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@finadeon: The cached copy is stored in your Application Support folder, and you can export your data from any vault using 1Password for Mac as well. It's all there on your computer already, so like I said, the only think you lose in an outage is the web interface. :)

This discussion has been closed.