Access from work / possible use for guest accounts?

Options
Scuba629
Scuba629
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Families

I'm not sure if Families or Teams will support restrictions via "device". I have a work computer that should only be able to see a few logins. I would like to assign what logins the chrome web client at work can see. Will this be coming to Families? Or should I just try a work around?

I could make a "work" vault and use my work e-mail address allowing my personal and work account access? Or maybe send my work e-mail a guest invite as I don't want it having access to the shared vault?

I should read up more on guests vs members I guess. Not sure what the difference is other than maybe the shared vault?

In short I'm not sure what traffic and data my work computers can see so I would like to limit what im viewing and have access to when using their machines.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Scuba629,

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

If you'd like your work computer to only have access to a subset of your logins I'd recommend setting up a separate account for use on it. You could then have a shared vault that is shared between your primary account and your work account, which would contain just that subset of logins that you want to access both at home and at work.

There are no device based restrictions, in that sense, and I'm not aware of any plans to implement any. I.e. I can't say that if I login using my account on my iPhone I get to see information A and B but if I login to my account on my Mac I only see information B. The only way to do that would be with two separate accounts.

Guests only have access to a single shared vault. They do not get a Personal vault, and cannot be invited to more than one vault. Just as with fully fleged family/team members they cannot be invited to access anyone's Personal vault. Only the owner of each Personal vault can view it.

So, a guest account for your work computer may be an acceptable solution for you. The primary advantage of using a guest account vs a "full" account is that guests do not count against your family/team member quota (though there is a limit to the number of guests each family/team can have).

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

I know with the early special we are getting 2 more family members and 2GB of document storage. Has anyone mentioned also increasing the guest limit to 3 or 4? I'm guessing not but figured I would ask. =)

I'll create a work vault tonight and invite an alternate e-mail address I created with google. I like the idea of using a guest account better but with having 7 family members I'm sure I won't go over.

• Ben
    Options

I think at this point we're pretty well settled on 2 guest accounts for Families, though we may make it possible to purchase additional slots in the future. I imagine part of the thought is if you need more than a few guests then 1Password for Teams may be the more appropriate solution.

Please let us know how it turns out! :)

Ben

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

One last question. If I want access to Gmail should I copy or move that login to the work vault? I don't want it duplicated but would like access to it at work. Is there anyway to link to an existing login? Not sure if that makes sense..

I have a Google login under my personal vault. I would like to make a link to that login in my work vault. So if I update the password at work it also gets updated in my personal vault.

• Ben
    Options

@Scuba629,

It is possible to link two items together, but only within the same vault. We do not (yet) have cross-vault linking (and I'm not sure we will).

If both your personal account and your work account will have access to the work vault I don't see any reason to copy it there. I'd move it instead. That way you only have to make changes in a single spot if you change the password, enable two-step authentication, etc for that login.

Since it seems the plan would be to have both your personal (main) and work accounts have access to the work vault, I'm not sure I see why you'd have the Gmail login in the personal vault.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.