Feature request: phone number field

MDBrown
MDBrown
Community Member

1Password gives a lot of options when adding a new field, but one is missing: a phone number or contact field.

Many of my items, like bank accounts, credit cards, online accounts, etc, often entail the possibility of having to call someone for support. Of course I have the contact information in my phone's contact list, but it would be really helpful to be able to call directly from the 1Password entry that I already have open in preparation for talking to those people.

Would it be possible to do one of the following, in order of preference:

a) add a "contact" field type that lets me pull a contact from my phone's contact list (by clicking on a + sign). Once filled, the contact's name or number would remain permanently set in the field. The field would launch the phone app when tapped.

or

b) add a simple "telephone number" field, that I could fill manually. The field would launch the phone app when tapped.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Many of my items, like bank accounts, credit cards, online accounts, etc, often entail the possibility of having to call someone for support. Of course I have the contact information in my phone's contact list, but it would be really helpful to be able to call directly from the 1Password entry that I already have open in preparation for talking to those people.

@MDBrown: That's a really good point. But I think some clarification may be helpful.

For example, are you referring to a specific 1Password app? In 1Password for iOS, tapping the Phone Number field in a Back Account item gives both Copy and Dial options.

a) add a "contact" field type that lets me pull a contact from my phone's contact list (by clicking on a + sign). Once filled, the contact's name or number would remain permanently set in the field. The field would launch the phone app when tapped.

I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting here. The idea of being able to create custom fields with a "Phone Number" property is interesting though. I'd like to hear more! :)

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

In 1Password for iOS, tapping the Phone Number field in a Bank Account item gives both Copy and Dial options.

That's fantastic. I never noticed that predefined phone field in the Bank Account item. I've been looking for it in the pick-list that pops up when you hit "add new field".

That's exactly what I want. I'd love to be able to use that field in other items. Primarily to add a customer support or tech support number.

I know you want to keep the pick-list lean, but please consider adding "phone" as an option when creating a new field in any item type, with the same functionality as in the Bank Account type. I think a lot of users would find it of value.

And yes, I'm using the iOS app.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @MDBrown,

I'm so glad that Brenty's reply helped you out! I'll be sure to let our developers know that you'd love to see a phone option for new fields in 1Password for iOS.

ref: OPI-2735

• Gomes
    Gomes
    Community Member

Hi All,
    How to you add a second Phone number field?
    That has dial capability.

When I look to add a New Field the drop selections does not have Phone Listed.
    Only Text, URL, something else something else, Password ..........but no Phone.

Banks for example have a main number and then Online assistance number it would be great to have many active phone fields that you press and it dials.

Let me know

JGo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Gomes: Ah, that's exactly the topic of this discussion: there isn't currently a way to create a custom "phone number" field, but it's a feature we may be able to add to 1Password in a future version. Thanks for letting us know that you'd appreciate that as well!

• Gomes
    Gomes
    Community Member

Thanks brenty, Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Ok good. I am just getting to that point where I commit fully or not to 1Password and I noticed this anomaly.
    Hopefully you guys can include it in future release.

Would you like to commit to include it and in the next update ??? (Go on....). Please...

(you can copy and paste the code from the existing phone field)

JGo

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

@Gomes: We don't discuss future plans, but I can tell you that it won't be in the next release. We're already testing the next beta, and we're focused on improving 1Password for iOS step by step.

I agree that it may not be as complex as adding some other features, but it wouldn't be as simple as copying and pasting code. It would need to be accommodated for in the user interface and coded across multiple versions of 1Password (not just iOS) since they all use the same database format. We'd also need to test it thoroughly to make sure that a "small" change that's meant to be useful on iOS doesn't cause unforeseen problems there or anywhere else.

It's important to keep in mind that any development and testing resources directed at this would need to be taken away from something else, so it isn't something that we'd likely be able to do on a whim overnight. But I do hope it will be something we can do in the future. Cheers! :)

• elucubrator
    elucubrator
    Community Member

Can I add to this suggestion. I'm using 1Password for Mac, and iOS. Seems to me that the phone number fields under "contact information" work as I expect. But if I add additional fields, they're not always operational. Some of my financial institutions allow for contact by Skype, twitter or Facebook. That functionality in 1Password would be great.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Noted! Thanks, @elucubrator. :)

• elevine
    elevine
    Community Member

+1 for adding this field type to the pick list, if for no other reason that automatic and consistent formatting of phone numbers. Perhaps the location/regional settings of the phone can be used to determine proper phone number formats for this field by default.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, that could definitely make it easier both for users and the development team if we can take advantage of some of the convenient things iOS does with text field types. Cheers! :)

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member

Any news on this request?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Nothing new in this area, but I'll let the development team know that you'd also like us to add this feature in a future version. :)

• Thorsten_Heit
    Thorsten_Heit
    Community Member

+1 for adding a phone number field in 1Password; that would really be great :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! :) :+1:

• btronn
    btronn
    Community Member

I, too, would like the phone number field on the iPad. I love adding websites on the pad due to the autocomplete of the website information (which I'd love to see on the mac), but having to switch devices to add a phone number is annoying. Way down on the list is having the phone numbers auto formatted depending on the country code.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I appreciate you letting us know! To be clear, you can still use the preset phone number fields in their fashion, but perhaps we can add more options for custom fields in the future as well. :)

This discussion has been closed.