Search Field Stops Accepting Entries

MikeV99
MikeV99
Community Member
On a pretty frequent basis (depending on how ofter it is used) I am not able to do a search on my iPad 2. I click in the search field, the keyboard pops up, I click a letter and the keyboard drops and nothing is entered. My workaround is to start another app, double click out, push on an icon until wiggly, and click on 1P's red icon to close it. After I reenter 1P everything is fine. Any ideas why?

Mike

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hey Mike,

I have heard of this happening before. Whenever things get wonky on iOS I usually suggest a reinstall of the app in question. Note that following this procedure will erase any data stored in the 1Password app on your iOS device, so you'll have to set up your master password and Dropbox syncing again. If you do not sync with Dropbox, you will want to make sure to backup your data before performing this procedure:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

Once you have your data backed up (either synced with Dropbox or a special backup as outlined above) you can remove 1Password by pressing and holding on the 1Password icon until all the icons start to jiggle. Then you can click the X in the top left corner to uninstall 1Password. Once 1Password disappears, you can press the home button to stop the icons from jiggling. You can then either re-sync the 1Password app over from your computer, or download a fresh copy from the App Store.

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Done! Now we wait to see if it fixed it!

Thanks.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update. Please do let me know how it turns out!
  • schmegs
    schmegs
    Community Member
    MikeV99 wrote:

On a pretty frequent basis (depending on how ofter it is used) I am not able to do a search on my iPad 2. I click in the search field, the keyboard pops up, I click a letter and the keyboard drops and nothing is entered. My workaround is to start another app, double click out, push on an icon until wiggly, and click on 1P's red icon to close it. After I reenter 1P everything is fine. Any ideas why?

Mike

I just installed 1Password on a brand new iPad 2, and I'm running into the same problem. It only seems to happen when 1Password resumes on the iPad instead of starting clean...

--Greg
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the feedback, Greg! Please try reinstalling 1Password as described above. I know you said you just installed it, but it should resolve the issue for you. Please let me know.

Cheers,
  • MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Unfortunately the same problem has reoccurred. It clears up for a while if I force 1P to restart. Hence, reinstalling the app did not fix it.

Mike
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hm. It can be really hard to resolve an issue if we can't reproduce it in our labs. So far none of us on the team have seen this behavior. :S

Are there any steps you can take to reproduce the behavior with any consistency? Is there something I could try on my own iPad 2 to duplicate this issue?

We would love to nail this down and any further input is much appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
  • MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    I understand your frustration. I have not been able to identify a pattern. One other issue that I periodically see is the loss of the index on the right side of the screen. I have not been able to identify a pattern for that either. A restart of the app resolves both issues.

A side question ... the window version allows one to define multiple categories for arranging entries. Is the any way to see those on the iPad/iPhone?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I think the two issues may be related. I have suspected a low memory issue for the search field issue, but I am pretty sure the disappearance of the alphabetical sort list is a low memory issue.

1. Open 1Password, visit any Login that has a lot of images or video that would use a lot of memory (Google image search is a good option. Be sure to scroll down a lot.)
    2. Close the browser. You’ll see the app is trying to refresh the view/resize but the alphabetic sort list is missing. Rotating the app will refresh and return the sort list.

Do you see similar results with the search field under these circumstances? I don't have an iPad running iOS 4 handy to test and there are still some other issues in iOS 5 which prevent me from making an assessment which would be useful to you.

the window version allows one to define multiple categories for arranging entries. Is the any way to see those on the iPad/iPhone?

Folders are supported on the iPhone (tap "More") but not currently on the iPad. Folder on the iPad is a feature that is on our radar for a future release.
  • MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    I was able to cause the index to disappear and restore by rotating the iPad. However, the search feature was not lost at the same time.

The next time I lose the search capabiliy I shall check to see if rotating resolves it.

Mike
  • MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    New device and built from scratch. No JB. IOS 4.3.3 and iTunes on a XP systems. MobileMe for syncing an iPad 64KB+G, an iPad 2 64KB+G, 2 iPhone 4s, 2 XP desktops, and one Vista laptop (not used for iTunes). My wife uses the iPad 1- her usage probably would not run into such issues.

I wish I could find the pattern for you.
  • MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    FYI, I had not used my iPad for a few hours. I started it up, entered my iPad pin, and clicked on the 1P app and entered my master password. The search field had letters left over from the last time I had used it. Clicked on the X to clear it and tried to enter a new search phrase but could not. I tried rotating the iPad, no change. I tried tap and hold to bring up a paste option but it failed as well. Tapping on the shift key, the numerics key, or any key was ignored and the keyboard dropped out of sight. I restarted the app to clear things. I do not know if the sequence can be repeated.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the additional details. So far I have only seen this reported by a couple other users. I have seen it myself once (maybe twice) but cannot reproduce it. It is kind of driving me insane. Especially since it seems to happen so readily on your iPad. How odd!

It seems as though it only happens after 1Password has been backgrounded. That is, on a fresh launch (either after a device restart or manually quitting 1Password by tapping and holding on it in the fast app switcher and then tapping the red minus sign) the problem never exists. Is that a fair assessment?
  • MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Normally I am pretty good at finding a pattern -- good at breaking things. :huh: However, everytime I think I have come up it with something, I try it and it does not fail.

The one thing I do know. It never happens after booting the device. If it occurs, restarting the app (clicking the red dash) clears it up.

I suspect that most folks do not use the search feature as much as me. I have a lot of entries and sometimes I need to search rather than use the index to find the item. It is a shame that the app does not have an option to log events in a finite size log. Maybe something would show up then.

In any event, I shall keep watching to see if I can find a way to cause it.

Mike
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Do you use the built-in browser much (or at all)? Some folks only use 1Password to look up passwords or to copy/paste them into other iOS apps. If there is a low memory condition (just a rather unfounded hunch) the issue should arise after browsing some "heavy" websites. If possible, try using 1Password without using the built-in browser for as long as you can stand to see if the issue still pops up.

Thanks for your help with this.
  • MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Yes, I use the built-in browser a lot. I shall stop using it and do the link for a while. It is a shame you are forced into using a built-in browser. I can also save the logins in Atomic Browser & Safari, but then that would not test anything.

I can cause a low memory situation by heavy use of the built-browser which causes the index to disappear until I rotate the iPad. I have not seen the loss of the keyboard in that situation though.

Mike
This discussion has been closed.