Feature Request: Ability to Empty Individual Items From Trash

Options
fssbob
fssbob
Community Member

Right now it appears the only option for emptying items from the trash is to delete ALL items in trash at once. I'd like an option to selectively delete items from trash. Combined with the existing ability to sort by date modified, this would allow me to "age" trashed items and only delete them after a holding period.

Another option would be to set an "empty items after X days in trash" option. That would work for my needs as well, although I think I would prefer the manual option.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 5.4.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb-search:select items to remove from trash

Comments

• Hi @fssbob! That's an interesting suggestion. I can definitely see how this would be useful for cleaning routines such as the one you mentioned. There have been a few requests for such a feature in the past as well. I've forwarded your feedback along to our development team for consideration. I really like the idea to automatically empty the Trash after a specific amount of days has passed. It's similar to how Mail works in OS X, permanently erasing messages once they are a month old. That also makes more sense in your specific use case than individual deletion because there's no need to think about it. Thanks so much for posting it. :)

ref: OPM-1418

• fssbob
    fssbob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Just to clarify, when you say "automatically empty the Trash after a specific amount of days": that would be applied to each item based on how long it's been in the trash--not to all the trash at once--correct?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Correct, @fssbob!

We took your meaning from your original wording, "empty items after X days in trash." I agree with you and penderworth, it sounds like a good idea! We'll leave it to the devs to see if/when it might be possible to implement such an option.

Thanks again! :) Have a great weekend.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have 262 items in my trash. I was hoping that one day I would be able to selectively clear items from trash (or even by age). Surely it is not that difficult to provide such a feature?.

I tried the restore, but the display does not go to the item I just restored, it just stays in trash. Unfortunately, I thought I knew what was being restored but cannot find it now. So, how do I find it?

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I have 261 items in trash. I just want to clear them selectively or by age. Trash keeps growing, but to clear it I have to permanently delete the last two items in trash that are a week old at the same time I remove the ones several years old. Gotta be a better way!

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Found it by the modify date, but now another problem. Vault 1, Trash, Restore (trash count down by 1), Share - Move Vault 2. Item is in Vault 2, but it goes back to Trash in Vault 1 (item count back up). Now what?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MikeV99,

I noticed you also posted about this in another thread, so I've moved those comments to this discussion so we don't duplicate efforts or cause confusion between here and there. I hope you don't mind!

I have 261 items in trash. I just want to clear them selectively or by age. Trash keeps growing, but to clear it I have to permanently delete the last two items in trash that are a week old at the same time I remove the ones several years old. Gotta be a better way!

That seems like a lot of items to have in the Trash, but if you haven't emptied the Trash in 1Password for multiple years, I can see how that would add up. However, is there a reason why you haven't emptied the Trash in several years? Is it because you've been hoping we would add the ability to selectively delete items from the Trash? I noticed you've asked us about this in the past, but we can't make any promises about if or when we'll add the ability to do that.

If I understand, it sounds like you have 2 items in the Trash which you do not want to delete - is that correct? If so, a simple workaround would be to restore those 2 items (so they are moved from the Trash to their original item categories), empty the Trash, then move the 2 items back to the Trash (if you still want to keep them there).

Aside from that, I'm curious about how you use the Trash and why you keep items in there which you don't want to delete. The Trash is basically meant for items that you want to get rid of, but gives you a chance to restore them in case you moved them there by accident. So it sounds like you're using the Trash a bit differently than intended. If you can tell us more about your particular use case, we'll be happy to add your comments to our internal tracker for this feature request.

Share - Move Vault 2. Item is in Vault 2, but it goes back to Trash in Vault 1 (item count back up). Now what?

Currently, that's correct behavior: When you use the 'Move' option, it technically creates a copy of the original item in the new vault. Instead of instantly deleting the original item from the original vault, it's moved to the Trash of that vault (the fact that you previously had that item in the Trash is a coincidence). We know this isn't really ideal behavior though, and our developers are hoping to improve that. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

ref: OPM-3172

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

How I use Trash somewhat depends on the app. For example, with email I have a 6 month trashcan and a 1 year trashcan that automatically clears expired items. I also use subject Folders that I delete periodically when they have passed a useful time period. For my photos, my management scheme is to put deleted items in a trash folder and delete the older ones after a year or so. On my computers I put items into trash and manually delete the older ones periodically. It looks like my basic philosophy is if I have not needed to restore an item in trash in over a year or so it is reasonably safe to delete it permanently.

My 1Password Trash goes back to May 2011. I'd like to clear out items older than December 2013 (not sure how many that will be, probably need to clear ~200). The reason that I have so many is that I had no way to clear them out selectively or by age. It appears I am doomed to ever larger Trash.

Also, moving an item to another vault changes the modified date. I guess for trash items that might be OK, but it does corrupt the date trail.

• Hi @MikeV99 ,

That's an excellent point about the date changing. Moving and copying makes a new instance of the item so the dates change. I'll add that note about to the feature request.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I don't know if this is a contribution to this or not, but I have created a separate Archive vault where I store things I don't want any longer, but which I'm not quite prepared to consign completely to oblivion. I just move those records to Archive. I don't even sync the Archive vault to my iOS devices. It's a good approach for me, and it keeps me from using the trash as a storage location. Trash isn't meant for that in any application, so far as I'm aware.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You took the words right out of my mouth, @hawkmoth! :lol:

@MikeV99, I think an 'Archive' vault might be a good fit for your use case. You could move items there if you think you no longer need them, and then you can move them to the Trash (and empty the Trash) once enough time has passed and you're certain you don't need them anymore. The problem of course is that the date would be changed for each item you move there, although you would at least be able to see how long each item has been in the Archive vault. If you absolutely need to know the original creation date of an item, you could copy that into the 'notes' field of the item before moving it to an Archive vault. That would take an extra step or two, but I thought I'd mention it as a potential workaround in case it helps.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, a Trash ("Archive") vault would have a selective clear feature which is not available with the Trash Folder. A few extra steps to do it. It is a shame the user has to do extra work to workaround a missing capability of the software. Shoulda started that 6 years ago. BTW, an aging clear feature of a trash folder is quite different from using the folder for storage.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad to hear a separate vault for those items will be a suitable workaround for you!

The Trash in 1Password was designed to work very much like the Trash on OS X (or at least the way it worked before the 'Delete Immediately' option which was added in El Capitan). If selectively deleting items from the Trash in 1Password is something that would be helpful for a lot of customers, I'm sure our developers will consider it. But for now, at least using a secondary vault will help you manage those items.

Thanks again for your feedback & suggestions! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

The OS X Empty Trash function has seemed quite odd to me for a while since I've been primarily a Windows user where the Recycle Bin can be emptied all at once or individual items can be deleted, but I hadn't realized 1Password followed the Mac paradigm until you mentioned it @Drew_AG, thanks :-) I don't have a strong opinion about which is correct for 1Password (though I'm used to Outlook as well where the Deleted Items folder has items that can be deleted individually) but always good to know the details!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hadn't realized items in the Recycle Bin could be individually deleted on Windows, so you taught me something new too, @dszp! Thanks! :sunglasses:

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

I moved all my trash items to a new vault and cleared my primary vault's trash. I go to new vault and the items are in trash which is OK. However, search will not work - All Items in new vault do not list them. Selecting Trash and searching does not work.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @MikeV99,

Search doesn't include the Trash I'm afraid, it only searches the vault for items that haven't been marked for deletion. Search happens at a global level and so ignores whatever may be selected in the Sidebar. As a result having the search contain deleted items would likely only cause mass confusion to the majority of users and I'd probably include myself in that too. If we were to add select searching of categories then we could potentially add searching of the Trash but I couldn't comment on when or if such a feature might happen.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables,

Obviously I did not know that. Once I Move everything in Trash to an Archive vault which results in the items going into Archive/Trash, I assume that a restore from Archive/Trash will restore them to the appropriate folders within only the Archive vault? Then one could do a Search in the Archive vault?

When you say Search is Global except for Trash, I assume that means only within the open vault (unless all vaults are open)?

Since one can do a global search by selecting All Items it seems to me the ability to select a category for searching would be more useful.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @dszp,

FWIW, one can open Trash on the Mac in Finder, select a file, right click, and permanently delete the item. I.e., one can delete items from trash selectively on a Mac just as one can on a PC. We just cannot do it in 1Password.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @MikeV99,

Restoring the item from the Trash in your Archive vault would indeed move it back into the Archive vault only and yes, it would then be included in any search that you perform.

You're interpretation of what I said is also spot on. What I was trying to communicate, and probably didn't do very well at, was when you search a single vault (or all vaults when in the All Vaults view) that you can't specify a particular category or folder or tag by searching after selecting an entry in the sidebar. So if I select the Logins category and then perform a search it isn't limited to just the Logins category. Another way to phrase is Search always searches based on what is in the All Items view. In fact I wish I'd thought of that explanation yesterday :tongue:

I know OS X by default assumes you want to search This Mac, a global search which has always annoyed me but OS X does allow you to instead say always search the current folder. Maybe we need to mimic OS X a bit more here and have the option which should then also include searching the Trash.

Given the behaviour of our Trash was originally based on OS X it would seem reasonable to see it updated to reflect the new behaviour, I cannot disagree with you there :smile:

• george_b
    george_b
    Community Member
    Options

Help me see why this is not infuriating. I have 160 items in my Trash. It is nice to know that I can view/restore an old password. But.. I have a login entry I want to delete all traces of NOW. Why should I have to throw out my 160 Trash items just to delete 1? This simple option (adding a new menu item "Delete Permanently - Cannot be Undone") could be added by a developer over a pizza?

No. The problem then is how to permanently delete it from my rolling backup files (79 database backup files at the moment). That's a lot more pizza's and risky.

People have been asking you for this for years. See discussion 23367 for example.

For those of you reading this and need to delete one entry, I will be editing my entry and changing or deleting all fields (so the original information is effectively gone. Is there a better way?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @george_b,

Hope you don't mind that I've moved your post into a newer discussion about this request. The older discussion you referred to was closed (automatically), as you probably noticed.

One suggestion you might find helpful, first brought up here earlier by hawkmoth, is using an Archive vault to retain items you want for possible future reference instead of relying on Trash for that purpose.

Or for cases like these:

For those of you reading this and need to delete one entry, I will be editing my entry and changing or deleting all fields (so the original information is effectively gone. Is there a better way?

You could create a 'TrashMeSoon' vault just for short-term storage of items where you'd move any intended for permanent deletion (like the one above), delete them there, then empty its Trash. Sort of the inverse of an Archive vault – a Trash vault.

Not saying these are solutions to the 'purge selected items from Trash' capability that you and others have requested. I'm hoping these alternatives might come in handy for you right now and help reduce the infuriation.

I've also passed along your comments to the developers, reminding them there's still ongoing interest in this. :)

This discussion has been closed.