Start over without a primary vault

AGAlumB
AGAlumB
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Remove Primary Vault and just use "Your Vault" in team?.

Comments

• ChrisJenkins
    ChrisJenkins
    Community Member

I have several family Macs that I manage and now that we have all moved to 1Password for Families (great product BTW!) I'd like to delete the old local 'Primary' vault on each Mac. I know one can 'start over' (as per the link posted above) but frankly those instructions are a little complex and error prone and I have 5 Macs to do it on. It would be so much nicer (and safer) to provide the ability within the 1Password app itself to just delete the Primary vault if (a) it is empty and (b) you have at least one Family/Teams account connected. Any possibility of that in a future update?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ChrisJenkins: I'm not sure we want to add an incredibly destructive option to the 1Password app. Following the guide to start over with an empty vault is best because it cannot be done accidentally, and also lets you make sure you're getting everything so that nothing is overlooked.

But you can also use the Data Reset Utility to automate the process. Before we go too far, you should back up your existing data by selecting File > Backup from the menu bar. Then follow these steps to start over with a new vault:

1. Download the Data Reset Utility
    2. Double-click the ZIP file to decompress it (if your browser didn't do that for you automatically)
    3. Control-click on the tool and select "Open" from the shortcut menu

4. Follow the prompts, and 1Password should give you the chance to start with a new vault

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.