Feature Requests: Form Widgets and Cloud Hosted Vaults

Options
aslam
aslam
Community Member
edited April 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

I've been a 1P user for many, many years. I've advocated for you guys a ton and have convinced a number of people to become customers. I'm a big proponent of 1P.

I would like to submit a couple of feature requests. At my new company they use mostly LastPass. I tried using it initially for my work passwords, since it was the corporate standard. After a few months of using it, however, I've found the interface lacking somewhat. And with the ability to now have multiple vaults in 1P, I'm planning to create a second vault for work passwords only and use that with 1P at work. There are two features of LastPass, however, that after months of using it, I must say are features that I think they have done well and are ones I wish 1P had — a small widget in the username/password field of login forms that allows quick access to your saved passwords and the option for cloud storage of my passwords without having to connect to a 3rd party service such as Dropbox.

Widget in Usename/Password Field of Forms
This function puts a small widget at the right hand side of username/password fields in login forms giving you quick access to your passwords. It is similar to the widget that iCloud Keychain puts into the browser forms. I'm attaching two annotated screenshots to illustrate the feature – one with the widget closed and one open.

Screenshot 1: Widget Closed

Screenshot 2: Widget Open

I've found this feature very useful and would love to see it in a future version of 1P

Cloud Storage of Passwords/Vaults
We have Windows machines in our meeting rooms and we login to those using our Active Directory accounts. I use Chrome's extension sync feature to make sure that all my bookmarks and extensions automatically follow me to the meeting room computers. With LastPass's built in cloud features, it made it dirt easy to have my passwords come with me. Unfortunately, once I got to the meeting rooms, the LastPass UI wasn't as user friendly as 1P and that's why I'm planning to switch to 1P at work. However, looking at 1P, I think I will have to sync using my Dropbox account so that my passwords can be in sync across a number of meeting room machines (Windows) as well as my main work machine (Mac). That means that I need to install and setup Dropbox on each of the meeting room computers and sync my vault to those machines. Then once I've done that, I need to install 1P on each of those machines and connect it to those vaults. That is a lot of setup work and potentially complex when there are upgrades to 1P. In addition, it puts my vault on all of those machines as well as my Dropbox account. I can use selective synching with Dropbox to limit the amount of my data that is sitting on those meeting room computers, but still it complicates the setup. Therefore as you are planning the scope of your next releases, I encourage you to consider adding an AgileBits hosted cloud option (not mandatory but just one option) to make your product easier to setup on a new machine and usable in circumstances like mine.

I am happy to provide more context if that is helpful and to beta test any builds of this functionality. I do work in software and so I'm used to test code.

Thanks,
Aslam

1Password Version: 6.2 (620011)
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb-search:purchased via mac app store windows install, kb:faq, kb:starting-over, kb:pro-features-faq

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @aslam. Thanks for your post. I'm sorry for the late reply. First, your feature request to give some more interactive elements in the page is definitely one we are considering. We've discussed something similar to this for a while, but other urgent issues seem to push ahead in the queue. But this is definitely on our list to explore in some form.

As for cloud hosting of credentials, I want to make sure you're aware of 1Password for Teams. It sounds like it's exactly what you're looking for. Unfortunately, right now our Windows app isn't compatible with Teams, but our Windows developers are working hard to bring things up to speed. Once it is, I think it will fit your use case just perfectly.

I hope this helps.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.