Wi-Fi Sync for Family Shared Vault

Chranya
Chranya
Community Member

Hi Guys,

Wondering if you can help. We are trialling 1Password for Families at the moment and have not been able to find how to change the sync mechanism for the shared vault? We don't care about our personal vaults sync'ing via your hosted solution, or iCloud/Dropbox, but for the shared vault which is going to contain the most sensitive stuff, we'd like that to only sync and be housed within our local network.

Is this possible and if so, how?

Cheers,
Chris

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016

We don't care about our personal vaults sync'ing via your hosted solution, or iCloud/Dropbox, but for the shared vault which is going to contain the most sensitive stuff, we'd like that to only sync and be housed within our local network. Is this possible and if so, how?

@Chranya: Wi-Fi Sync is not used with 1Password Families; rather, the benefit of 1Password Families is that the data is stored securely on the server so that it can be easily accessed in either the browser or the apps on your devices without having to fiddle with sync settings.

So besides the conveniences of 1Password Families, it's just as important to keep its security in mind. With 1Password Families, AgileBits never has access to your data, regardless of the vault. What's stored on the server is an encrypted blob that can only be decrypted using the Account Key and Master Password you setup when you signed up for the account. The former is generated locally on your device, and the latter is chosen by you. Neither of these are ever transmitted to us, so it's just as secure as the alternatives...only more convenient.

But you can opt to not use 1Password Families, and sync data using Wi-Fi or Dropbox instead, for example, if you wish. It's your data, and the choice it yours. :)

• Chranya
    Chranya
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @brenty

Ok so we should be looking for the individual licenses ($64.99 USD - One time purchase)?

If my wife and i buy the one time license, we could keep our personal vaults in a cloud solution such as DropBox for passwords or details that we aren't as concerned about, and just share a vault from a local folder via Wi-Fi for the details we don't want going out past our network?

Is there any form of conflict management if we are both writing changes to the one vault? For example, what happens if i have updated my vault 'offline' from my Mac and my wife has done the same, then we come back to sync to the folder via Wi-Fi?

Thanks for your help,
    Chris

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2016

Chris,

Sorry for any confusion. No, that configuration isn't currently possible at all regardless of what you purchase. You can use Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync (which is considered an 'advanced' feature and not typically recommended), but you cannot sync your Primary vault via Dropbox and then sync a secondary vault via Wi-Fi.

Also worth noting -- Wi-Fi sync can only sync between one computer and one or more mobile devices. It cannot sync between computers. So it will likely not be ideal if you are trying to share data.

1Password for Families is the recommended solution if sharing data. :) Have you had a chance to review the white paper that Brenty linked?

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Chranya: Well, not that you necessarily want to read the whole thing right off (though it's a good, surprisingly humorous read with details you may be interested in), but we're also more than happy to answer any questions you may have if you're wondering about something in particular, without having to search for the info. :)

This discussion has been closed.