No folders in 1PW for Teams?

ntimo
ntimo
Community Member

Hello,

I just started playing arround with 1PW for teams and found that there is no way to create a folder in the mac version. Is this supposted to be? And if it is why is there no way to create folders? Folders are a important way to organize data in 1PW for me. So if you can could you please consider adding support for them?

1Password Version: 6.0.1 Mac
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: 1PW for Teams

Comments

• Hello @ntimo,

Folders are something we have in 1Password but do not have in 1Password for Teams. For a long time we've had Folders and Tags for organization and with 1Password for Teams we have decided to only support tags. Tags work pretty well and in some ways they are better than folders. The only exception is you're unable to create a hierarchy of tags like you can with folders.

In theory we could add Folders back but it is quite low on the priority list as tags work quite well and Folders bring with them some technical challenges that we'd like to avoid.

One thing we want to add is an easy way to convert from Folders automatically to Tags when moving items and importing Vaults. That's something we hope to add in a future release.

I hope that helps!

• schrifor
    schrifor
    Community Member

Hello,

and what should I do on android? Tags are not supported on Android and Folders not for Teams.
    So, is there another way to group and sort data?

• Hi, @schrifor, and welcome to our forum!

I'm sorry about the tags issue. We're trying to get all our clients up to date with the same features, but we're not quite there. There's not currently another way to group data using 1Password for Teams, but I hope with you that we can get tags in 1Password for Android soon.

• vipconsult
    vipconsult
    Community Member

Using only tags would work, but should also allow some hierarchy (maybe subtags)

I can' imagine a vault with 100+ items with only a single structure

• @vipconsult How would you like to see those implemented? I personally have a few vaults, most of them over 100 items, and I only use three tags for some basic things. I'm curious about what your use case is, and why a secondary level is necessary. :)

• ntimo
    ntimo
    Community Member

@penderwoth @dteare I fixed this 'issue' for me, well kind of. I now use separate vaults as folders. This may sound crazy but works very very well for me :)

• Jacob
    edited March 2016

@ntimo That's definitely one way of doing things. Then you can do custom searches in it for a similar functionality to Smart Folders. Since Teams accounts have unlimited vaults, why not? Thanks for letting us know you found a good workaround. :+1:

• Smart Folders isn't supported in Teams/Families anyway, so it actually doesn't matter. :wink: The solution @ntimo mentioned is a good one since it simply uses multiple vaults to organize things.

• brettcannon
    brettcannon
    Community Member

Just wanted to add another vote to this thread for getting tags landed on Android and to follow the thread for when they land (just started using Families and was actually looking forward to using tags to organize my logins; also a bummer that tags aren't available through the web UI either, so I'm kind of at a loss to use them while at work).

• @brettcannon Thanks for the vote on Android. :) I've added your request to the list. We'll get back to you when we have some updates about it.

ref: OPA-382

You can definitely add and manage tags in 1Password.com, both in Families and Teams. Could you try editing an item and then clicking the tags field, then typing a tag? You should be able to create one from there. :) Let us know how things go.

• brettcannon
    brettcannon
    Community Member

@penderworth I found the field the other day and updated the thread that I started specifically on that topic and forgot I mentioned it in passing here. Sorry about that.

• No problem! :+1: Glad to hear it.

This discussion has been closed.