6.2.1. does not file and move or copy buy trashes…

hexley
hexley
Community Member

This happens on the mac, and I just nuked the extensions and lt it go back it. Thought for sure I could work around it on my phone. 1 primary Vault one archive one. Just moved 6 items from primary to archive, all looks good, but,they are in the trash of the primary.

Same of IOS. It just happened after i upgraded, and I am not using the beta, is there a manual way to get everything in the trash into the archive vault for the time being?

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: 4.5.5
OS Version: 10.11.4 (15E65)
Sync Type: DropBox and USB Cable
Referrer: kb-search:conact, kb:contact-us, kb:report-website

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hexley,

I’m sorry that you’re feeling frustrated by this. Here’s what should happen when you select Share > Move:

• Item(s) get moved into the new vault.
    • Item(s) are moved to the Trash in the current vault.

So, what you’re seeing with the Trash in the Primary vault is expected. I’ve done some testing here, and I’m seeing the same thing. Did you take a look in the Archive vault to see if your items were correctly moved?

• hexley
    hexley
    Community Member

Yup, if I were to empty the trash, I would have data loss. Can you give me instructions to revert to the previous version and what info you need from me to show you this indeed is happening?

I'm pretty sure I have a few items that fell victim to data loss as I am in the ha bit of emptying the trash if it's got stuff in it.

I "archived" 6 items, they are in my trash. My only options now are to put them back in the primary or delete them. In the trash there's no option to do anything but move them back.

I may be able to work around by copying then moving but obey copy puts them in the trash and either doesn't copy them or does nothing.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hexley,

I’m not sure I understand. If the items were moved correctly to your Archive vault, there should be no trouble removing them from the Trash in your Primary vault. You will not experience data loss, because those items are in your Archive vault.

Can you confirm that you see these recently moved items in your Archive vault?

• hexley
    hexley
    Community Member

Ok, here is what is happening.
    Normal setup, Primary Vault, and a Secondary Vault.

Lets say I have a login in the Primary Vault, I control click on it, with intention of "MOVING" it to the Secondary Vault. immediately, I will see that there is now an item in my trash. If I look at that item, it is the item that I thought I was supposed to be moving, or copying, the only difference, is one leaves the original alone, one does not.

When I tell 1Password to MOVE an item from one vault to another, I am used to it doing so, to see it pop up in the trash, strikes me as strange. I was doing some serious spring cleaning, and glanced down at my trash, and there were 40+ items in it, that kinda freaked me out, I I went into the trash and clicked on the undo button, or whatever it is called.

Then I started looking in my vaults, and saw duplicates and such all over the place.

It seems there is this new behavior, to copy of move an item at least from the primary vault, will on MOVE, put a copy in the trash, and move a copy to the selected secondary vault. When you then look in the secondary vault, it is intact there. So it works, but what is with this interim step of dumping a duplicate of it in the trash?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @hexley,

I’m sorry that seeing items in your Trash freaked you out a bit, I can see how it would be disconcerting if you’ve never noticed it before. I’ve spoken with our developers, and it sounds like this change was implemented some time last year, so it’s by no means recent.

Doing things this way does have an advantage, from a database point of view. If, for example, the item was moved in error, you could restore it from the Trash instead of moving it back from the other vault. This is preferable to moving the item back because it allows the item to retain its unique identifier, which means there is less chance of the item being inadvertently duplicated when a sync occurs.

I hope this helps to explain the decision behind this change. :)

• hexley
    hexley
    Community Member

Understood. Thanks. I'd also say it's disadvantageous as you have to remember to delete the item now in the vault you moved it to. I always felt my deep storage vault had cruft in it that should not have been there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad Megan was able to help shed some light on things. We'll see if this can be improve in the future, but I think it's important to have a safety net. Everybody makes mistakes. :)

This discussion has been closed.