Migrating Windows 7 data to Families account later, and iOS app question

Options
IcyStorm
IcyStorm
Community Member

Hi, I currently have a Windows license for 1Password 4 and the Pro version on iOS, but I am interested in 1Password for Families, mostly to lock in that early pricing. I know that Families is only compatible with the UWP version of 1Password and that a new Windows 7-10 version is in the works.

I want to keep my current Dropbox vault for use because I want to keep using 1P4, but I do want to get my family using 1P for Families so we can at least maintain a shared database of accounts (for stuff like Netflix and whatnot).

So two questions:

1) Will it be easy to merge my current Dropbox vault into my Families account later so I can use it with the new version of 1P for Windows is released?

2) Is it possible to have a vault with Dropbox sync AND a Families account on 1Password for iOS? I think I read that having two different sync methods is not recommended in the iOS app, and I think that's not even possible anymore? This isn't so much an issue since I'll just use the iOS app with my Dropbox vault until 1P for Windows supports Families, but I'm curious.

Thanks in advance.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 64-bit
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @IcyStorm, I'm a user not an AgileBits employee, but I'm in a similar situation. I have 1Password on iOS, Windows, and Mac and I signed up for 1Password for Families to get the early goodies. I've got other family members set up using the Families web interface for now but I use the Windows app heavily with Dropbox sync so most of my data is there. The Mac and iOS apps allow you to easily move items between vaults, including from Dropbox to Families vaults, and I'm sure the Windows 7+ version when it's released will have similar functionality as I'm sure it's a main goal of AgileBits. So moving the data around should be relatively easy once Families is supported on Windows 7 (this is a guess of course, but a pretty good, well-educated one based on reading essentially all public information about it over a period of months :-)

To answer your second question, yes definitely. I do this now. I have a Teams account, a Families account, and three shared Dropbox vaults all on my iOS devices (and Mac app), and they all work perfectly!

• IcyStorm
    IcyStorm
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @dszp, thanks for the reply! I guess in the Settings section of the iOS app, my eyes glossed over "1Password for Teams", forgetting that's probably the same way to access 1Password for Families(?). I was trying to see what options there were if I tried to add a vault and it only showed Dropbox for me, so I was confused.

I'll take your word for it and sign up since I have 30 days to cancel even if I add my card. Thanks :)

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@IcyStorm Ahh, yes, they created Teams first and then split off Families but there are still places where they say Teams and mean both. They're fixing that in more places all the time. Might as well sign up, if you add your credit card before the 14th you get some free bonus stuff (7 users instead of 5 and more storage and $10 free credit, equal to two months, or more if you do the annual plan).

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @IcyStorm! Glad to hear everything is cleared up here. And thanks @dszp! :) One other thing I wanted to mention is we do have an app for Windows 10, which you said you're running. You can import your current vault using that if you'd like. Just open your existing vault in the beta app and...

1. Tap select button next to the search bar.
    2. Either add a checkmark to each individual item, or tap Select All to automatically add a checkmark to all the items in the current vault
    3. Tap Share and select the Families vault you'd like these items to be available in

I hope that helps!

• IcyStorm
    IcyStorm
    Community Member
    Options

@penderworth Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not actually using the UWP app because I don't think it would do much for me. I know importing from 1Password 4 is possible, but I didn't know if it was a one-time thing that you could only do at the beginning or not or if the import process was messy with existing stuff in a Personal vault.

I think I'll hold off on the import for now (because Families is more for my family anyway), but thanks anyway!

• Jacob
    Options

@IcyStorm No problem — I know what you mean. Keep in touch. :)

This discussion has been closed.