Fidelity.com Login Problem

If I manually login to my account at Fidelity.com, log back out, then back in repeatedly, everything is fine. But when I use 1Password to login it fills the password field but the username field is not accepted (even though it's correct in 1Password). Additionally, after trying (unsuccessfully) to login with 1Password, the "Remember Me" box is checked on the Fidelity login page if I go that page in my browser. If I manually login, log out, then back in...the "Remember Me box is not checked.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

More info: 1Password v6.2 on OS X 10.11.4

The workaround for this is to fill in my username during a manual login, then check the "Remember Me" box and then edit the 1Password login to remove the username, leaving only the password to fill. The next time I use 1Password's "Open & Fill" it then work fine, but it's only filling in the password. This lowers security a little bit and is not a solution.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LarryMcJ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with Fidelity. We've hear similar issues from other users, and we're currently investigating a solution. I have added your report to the issue in our tracker to see if it helps our team figure out where things are getting tangled up.

ref: BRAIN-115

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks, Megan. It seems to have something to do with Fidelity obfuscating parts of the username at some point in the process, but there's probably more to it than that. For now, the workaround is fine but at some point it would be great to have a fix.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ My wife just started a new job where their retirement accounts are through Fidelity, so I should have valid credentials to test with soon. Thanks for hanging in there with us. I know how frustrating this can be.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Really not a big deal as the workaround of keeping my username pre-filled and letting 1Password fill only my password works, though a little less secure.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Thanks, Larry. I'm glad we have a workaround for you in the meantime.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @LarryMcJ. I got around to testing my wife's login, and here's what I found testing with 1Password 6.3 internal nightly (The form filling is the same as in 6.2.1 though), Safari Version 9.1 (11601.5.17.1), and OS X 10.11.4

1. Saving the new login on the main fidelity.com page. (I don't see it mentioned in this thread, but 6.2 actually has some code that will help with the username saving on Fidelity, so please try saving a new copy of your login.)
    2. Open a new Private Browsing window in Safari.
    3. Visit fidelity.com
    4. Press Command-\ Login fills and submits and login is successful
    5. Click Logout link in the top right.
    6. Land on https://nb.fidelity.com/public/nb/default/logout
    7. Press Command-\ Login fills and submits and login is successful
    8. Click back to the fidelity.com homepage https://www.fidelity.com No login form, but there's now a Logout link at the top of the screen.
    9. Click on the Logout link.
    10. Land on https://www.fidelity.com/tpv/logout_webxpress.shtml
    11. Click Login link at the top of the screen
    12. Land on https://login.fidelity.com/ftgw/Fas/Fidelity/RtlCust/Login/Init?AuthRedUrl=https://oltx.fidelity.com/ftgw/fbc/ofsummary/defaultPage
    13. Press Command-\ Login fills and submits and login is successful

So, for me, the one login is working on all these various login pages. Does this match your experience? If not, please let us know the URL of any pages where it doesn't match and we'll take a look.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

It won't get past the first "Command-\". I open a private Safari Window, go to Fidelity.com, but have to press the "Log In" button which is missing in your steps. Then I'm presented with the username/password boxes and when I press "Command-\" it fills the password field but not the username, and the username field has a Fidelity error below it saying I need to provide my username.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

@LarryMcJ Is this with a new login saved like I described in step 1? If so, that's very puzzling to me. I wonder if there are any small differences since my wife's account is a workplace retirement plan? Could it be a difference from employer to employer or with individual vs employee accounts? I'm struggling to understand what could be causing the issue…

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

I followed what you did exactly...EXCEPT...when I open a private Safari Window and go to Fidelity.com I still have to press the "Log In" button which is missing in your steps. I don't see how you can be presented with the "Username" and "Password" fields unless you press "Login" first. Other than that...same exact steps you listed.

My account is a managed Fidelity account, but that shouldn't make any difference at all, unless perhaps Fidelity has a separate portal for your wife's employer.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

I believe the sign in screens are all the same. I do see that I have to click Login. I think that may have changed recently on the Fidelity site, but I'm not 100% sure and it's possible I simply omitted that step before.

If you'd be willing to share it, I would love to take a look at a redacted version of your Login from 1Password. If you're up for that, please email support+forums@agilebits.com with a link to this thread and we can talk privately about the process.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Having been a Fidelity client since 1983 I'm pretty sure the blue login button isn't new...but it was added in the past few years. Also, having been a 1Password user since the earliest days of "1P" I'm also reasonably sure I'm not doing anything wrong, especially since it's my most used app. I'm just not comfortable sharing anything with the logins of our financial institutions so I'll just have to be content to let 1Password fill only the password and let Fidelity stubbornly keep my username pre-fillled. Thanks.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @LarryMcJ. I have one more thing I'd like you to try before I concede defeat at the hands of Fidelity. Could you create a new Login in 1Password directly rather than in the browser? (Don't use Duplicate with your current Login because it will bring over the details that were saved from the browser in the other Login.) I just tried this and the login filled for me and signed in successfully. I'll be interested to see if this behaves the same or better for you.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

Here's the problem...Fidelity "refuses" to present a login window without my username field pre-filled. If I open a private window and create a new 1Password login it works fine "only" the first time. After that, Fidelity has pre-filled the username field and checked the "Remember Me" box, even though I didn't do that. When you're doing this, what Fidelity URL are you using for the login? There are actually two, the one presented after you press the blue "Login" button and the other when you click "Login" in the green space at the top of the home page.

FWIW, I've already called Fidelity web support to complain about this and their answer was to "never use a password manager...always put in my password manually"...that show the level of IT stupidity these days :-(

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

Ah, now I think we're getting somewhere! I never have that checkbox checked, even when I fill with 1Password, so it never stores my username. That being said, even when I have the username saved, both Logins (the one I created in the browser and the one I created in the main 1Password application) both continue to work properly for me. So, at this point, I'm not sure what could be the difference and I'm running out of ideas. :(

It is indeed sad that Fidelity would respond that way when you mention a password manager, but I think many times these phone support people are working from a limited number of possible answers, and in their minds, if the user is not typing in the password manually, they're probably copy and pasting the information from an insecure location like a Word or Excel document. From my point of view, this just indicates how much more room there is for 1Password to grow and for password managers to become ubiquitous in computing. :)

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member
    edited April 2016

Oddly, I just now called Fidelity again and asked to speak with a web supervisor. This guy was a Mac user and had a totally different story...he said Fidelity was aware they needed to improve their login procedures to include the use of all password managers. He said it was unreasonable to ask a user to remember a long and secure password without using one.

So, at least they've admitted this is their problem and for now I'll just continue to use a very long and secure 1Password-generated password for Fidelity but I'll let it save my username, which is not all that secure, anyway.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad that you had a better experience, @LarryMcJ. Unless you're going the extra step of using a random username for Fidelity, the username really isn't that big a secret from my perspective. It's probably stored in plain text in the database even. :)

If we can help with anything else, please let us know.

• LarryMcJ
    LarryMcJ
    Community Member

Thanks, @jxpx777.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni

It's my pleasure! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.