UI glitch uploading new Document

Options
dszp
dszp
Community Member

In Chrome on Windows 10 in Families, when adding a new Document from the web interface, if I type a title, then select/upload a file (PDF in this case) and then type a tag in the Tags field and click Save, I get an error and have to re-select the file to attach/upload before I save. If I fill out the tags field first, then upload the file (or don't use tags), it saves fine the first time.

That's as far as I got, maybe changing anything after adding the file causes an error (I'd have to try again to get exact wording, but it happened 2-3 times in a row earlier) but I only did the above earlier. Happy to help replicate in more detail if needed.

Comments

• Jacob
    Options

Hey @dszp! Thanks for reporting this. I'll need a bit more info to check for the issue on my end. Here's what will help:

• Are you typing in the Tags field as the upload is happening?
    • Does this only happen on new Document items or when uploading to current ones as well?
    • Does drag and drop affect this?
    • Have you tried things in a different browser?

That'll point us in the right direction. :)

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

No problem. Tried under my account (yesterday was on my wife's laptop on her account, this is my account in same Families account) this morning and replicated the issue with a .png file. The error is "Error: Unable to save document" with a Close button. Repeatedly clicking Save when making no changes results in the error over and over. If I click the document icon and re-select/upload a file (even the same one), then save, it works.

BIG NOTE: I messed up in my original description. It wasn't the Tags field I typed in, though I intended to. I typed in the "new field" box (leaving the label and section heading blank), a single word. Typing in tags seems to be fine, it's typing anything in the blank new field box after uploading the document (drag and drop or not) that causes the failure.

Answers to your questions:

• Did not type in empty field until after the document was successfully uploaded, any of the times. Always waited, but they were tiny.
    • Editing a document I successfully saved, whether I change the new field value or not, seem to be fine so far. So just new.
    • Drag and drop doesn't seem to matter.
    • Issue exists in Firefox equally (Firefox 45.0.2, Chrome 49.0.2623.112 (not quite latest)).
  • rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

This almost sounds like the issue I have I have on the Mac with 1P Beta .. If I (Link Existing or Add New) under Related Items, and modify the label, the documents disappears

• Jacob
    Options

@dszp Aha, there we go! I got the same error you did. :) I don't know why that's a smile... fixing issues is good? It looks like what's happening is the custom field is not saved until after focus has changed to something else, which is expected behavior. But clicking Save without switching fields or anything else confuses it a bit. Thanks so much for reporting this. We'll figure out exactly what's happening and straighten it out.

ref: B5-1428

@rr0ss0rr It's most likely a different one, since the client apps are their own thing, but who knows! Let's investigate. Could you post some steps to reproduce your specific issue so we can take a closer look? :)

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome, sounds like a valid explanation. An example of the pains of JavaScript and multiple browsers being the necessary development tools for developing webapps...but I'm sure this is a minor stumbling block vs. what's already been accomplished with Teams/Families :-) It's certainly not causing major issues, just another nice thing to tweak at some point.

• rr0ss0rr
    rr0ss0rr
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks .. Looks like it's an issue with the Mac Beta per @rickfillion

• Ben
    Options

:)

This discussion has been closed.