Secure documents 5MB limit

Options
leimerlk
leimerlk
Community Member

I was a bit dismayed to see the 5MB limit on secure documents. I understand the intent but what I am confused is what secure documents are really intended for if not for larger pdfs.

Here's what I envisioned, somebody correct me if I am off track. I want to use Family Document storage for things like:

• Tax returns
  • Wills
  • Copy of anything else essential that might be sitting in a safe-deposit box

Then, I share all these things with applicable family members so they really do know where they are.

As I mentioned above, problem is most of my docs are over 5MB.

So what gives, do I have the wrong assumption or does Agile really need to lift this limit to 50MB or so per pdf?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:teams-admin-access-control, kb-search:delete vault, kb-search:how to delete a vault, kb:teams-families-migrate, kb-search:How do I delete a vault

Comments

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@leimerlk I use Dropbox for larger documents such as the ones you list - Tax Returns, Wills, etc. With regards to 1P, my secure documents are more along the lines of birth certificate, car registration, car insurance, scans of driver's license, passports, etc - more one page types of documents. You didn't ask for an opinion but I thought I'd chime in anyway! Have a good afternoon! :)

• Scuba629
    Scuba629
    Community Member
    Options

@leimerlk It does seem a little low. I haven't gotten around to using the documents section yet but when I do I expect a few files will bump into this limit.

• leimerlk
    leimerlk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I was just curious if I was the only one bumping up against this already. Not sure what it entails to bump it up but a little more would be nice.

• Ben
    Options

It is great to hear what folks would like to use Documents for. For me personally I primarily use them to store scans of things like credit cards, etc, that if lost it would be incredibly helpful to have a digital copy of.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member
    Options

@leimerlk I originally thought I would use the secure documents feature the way you describe too. But I soon realized it's not really for that.

Rather than being a secure repository for all your treasures, 1Password is more like a a safe place to store the keys to your treasure chest (or chests).

As some people mentioned above, I use "secure documents" to store sensitive items that I need to keep on my phone, like passport, birth certificate, etc. I travel a lot, and I often need these on short notice. 1Password secure documents lets me keep copies more securely than, for example, in my iPhone camera roll.

But for things like my will or my financial documents, I store those in a secure online file service (and some just in Dropbox), and then I keep the login info for those accounts in 1Password. My files are safe in a place designed to keep bulk content, and the login info is safely kept right at my fingertips, on my phone, in 1Password.

• Jacob
    edited April 2016
    Options

That sounds about right. I use Documents for linking photos of my driver's license and passport to the actual items in 1Password. I don't expect many people will need them to store large files.

• scottrife
    scottrife
    Community Member
    Options

I definitely want to throw my hat in for the "I Need A Larger File Size Limit" group. I use Dropbox for everything, but I feel much more secure with putting a small number of my sensitive documents in 1Password, but I'm running into file size issues.

• Jacob
    Options

Feedback taken. :) Dropbox does encrypt things, just so you know. It's not a terrible place to put your private files.

• leimerlk
    leimerlk
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox is great, use it all the time. I can understand how Agile might not want 1P to become too Dropbox like, as everybody would try to upload anything remotely password/security related, overloading their servers and taking away the focus from its core business, passwords.

However, 2 GB is a lot of storage allocated just for passwords and a few random secure documents.

I like the idea of 1P for families truly being an emergency kit/safety deposit box like repository. With family scattered across I really really like the idea of sharing certain static, critical docs with others, kinda like a digital sock drawer. I have maybe 30 document I would like to upload, but half are files >5 Mb, like our will. Perhaps I need to take the time to rescan some files so they can fit.

My point is I think they are so close now to realizing this added marketing perk, the 5MB thing is a major wet blanket.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks!

We're definitely not trying to make a Dropbox replacement here, at least not at this stage.

I have maybe 30 document I would like to upload, but half are files >5 Mb, like our will.

This is great information to have. I'm sorry that the constraints we're currently working with do not meet your needs, but knowing that may help us make sensible adjustments in the future.

Perhaps I need to take the time to rescan some files so they can fit.

For right now, I think that may be a reasonable approach. I wouldn't expect a text based document, like a will, to be larger than 5MB. It probably doesn't need to be scanned at 600dpi. :)

My point is I think they are so close now to realizing this added marketing perk, the 5MB thing is a major wet blanket.

I'd love to see expanded options here. I personally use it now to store scans of important documents: my passport, a check from each checking account, my FCC license, everything that I carry in my wallet, etc. I tag items in my wallet as such -- in case my physical wallet is ever lost or stolen, I know what was there (possibly excepting any odd cash I might have on hand).

I could definitely see other use cases though and I hope in the future we'll be able to expand Documents to better fit some of them.

Ben

• leimerlk
    leimerlk
    Community Member
    Options

I really appreciate the listen Ben. You guys make a phenomenal product and am a lifetime consumer, which I can't say about any other app I use. I depend on 1P that much.

Bigger file size, 25mb max, would just be difference between really good and phenomenal IMHO. And I really think it is a great value proposition to get more to switch to subscription.

Ladd

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, Ladd!

Ben

• MDBrown
    MDBrown
    Community Member
    Options

Might be worth selling additional storage as an add-on for those who want it. A pretty easy way to monetize 1Password.

• leimerlk
    leimerlk
    Community Member
    Options

Agreed MD.....kinda thought that was what I was doing by being an early adapter and getting 2GB vs. 1GB storage! :)

• Ben
    Options

Might be worth selling additional storage as an add-on for those who want it. A pretty easy way to monetize 1Password.

And that may be something we consider in the future. But:

Agile might not want 1P to become too Dropbox like, as everybody would try to upload anything remotely password/security related, overloading their servers and taking away the focus from its core business, passwords.

This is part of it. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.