I have problems migrating data from my iPhone to an Android device. Please help.

Options
Philip77
Philip77
Community Member

Hello,
I try to transfer my iOS vault to a new Android device, using Dropbox syncing. I know that vault types for iOS and android versions are different. I also know that there is a way to merge these two vaults, so that an iOS vault will work on Android, but I don't know how to do it. Because no matter what I do, android version of the program doesn't see a vault in the Dropbox to download data from. I created both an optvault ( containing data from my iPhone) and agilekeychain vaults in my Dropbox but I don't know what to do next, how to merge these two vaults. I'd be grateful if could help me solve this problem.

Migrating form:
iPhone 6, iOS ver. 9.3.1
iPhone 1Password ver. 6.3.1
Migrating to:
Samsung Galaxy s7 edge
Android ver. 6.0.1
1Password ver. 6.2.1
I don't have a desktop version of 1Password installed.

Thank you.

Regards,

Philip.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:sync-options

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Philip77: Sorry for the trouble! Fortunately, there's a solution here: thinking in reverse!

Since the problem is that 1Password for Android can't read the vault 1Password for iOS created, we can approach it from the opposite direction: create a brand new vault in Dropbox when you setup 1Password for Android:

1. Disable sync on 1Password for iOS (which has its own internal database)
    2. Launch 1Password for Android, and select "I’m new to 1Password" to create a new vault
    3. Go into Settings > Sync and enable Sync
    4. Select Sync using Dropbox, and give Dropbox permission
    5. If there are no .agilekeychain vaults in Dropbox, 1Password will create the new one at /Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
      If an .agilekeychain already exists in Dropbox, 1Password for Android will not prompt to create a new .agilekeychain. Instead, it will ask to sync with the existing vault. In this case, rename existing .agilekeychain vaults in Dropbox with a different extension (for example, .agilebackup — this can be done on a computer, or through the Dropbox website). Then configure sync on Android again, and 1Password for Android will create the new vault: /Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
    6. Once 1Password for Android completes creating the new vault and Dropbox is finished syncing, enable Dropbox sync again in 1Password for iOS and select the new vault: /Apps/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain
      If 1Password for Android gives the error "No Downloads found", create a new test item on 1Password for iOS, use Settings > Vaults > Sync Now, and then pull down to trigger sync on Android as well. That should get everything back on track.
    7. 1Password for iOS may warn that there is a vault mismatch. Tap More Info and then Merge to combine the data from the internal database in 1Password for iOS with the 1Password for Android .agilekeychain vault in Dropbox

I hope this helps. Please let me know how it turns out! :)

• Philip77
    Philip77
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. But it doesn't seem to work. IOS version of the program does not pick an agilekeychain vault up, thus making it impossible to merge the data between the vaults. I manually designate the vaults it has to sync with, but keep getting a message that no data was found.
    Please help!

• peri
    Options

Hi @Philip77. Can you try creating a new item in the vault on your Android? It can be any type of item and it doesn't need to contain any data. Just click the blue plus sign, select a category, and then tap Save. Then swipe down to initiate sync. Are you able to sync now?

• Philip77
    Philip77
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much. It worked! I did everything as you told me and it worked just fine. Thank you again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Peri, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.