What happened to password history?

greenpig
greenpig
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I was trying to update my password on the AMEX site. I logged in via 1Password and went to the "change password" section where I used 1Password to enter my old password in the first field, generated a password, and clicked "fill" to fill in the two remaining fields. I then went to 1Password and pasted in the new password there, then clicked "submit." Unfortunately, 1Password had given me a 9-character password, and the site only accepts 6-8 character sites -- so all three files were zeroed out, including the "old password" which I'd just overwritten. I remember that 1Password used to have a password history section -- but I can no longer find it, and there's nothing in the login item itself. Consequently I can't get into the AMEX site at all.

Restoring a previous data file isn't an option, because I've made a lot of other changes tonight. How can I find where the previous value of the password for this account is located?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi Greenpig,

Open your login for AMEX, at the bottom of the 3rd pane in the shelves layout. It should be there, Sorry for the trouble. I hope you get it resolved.
  • kitmos
    kitmos
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    This got me curious and I looked at a login and below “all fields” there is NO history as is shown in your screenshot above. I’m running Version 3.2.0.BETA-3 (build 30649).

Cheers,

Kit
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited May 2010
    Same V and build as you kitmos.

From what I remember this only shows up if you get a prompt from 1p to update the password, if you do a manual save it will not work.
  • kitmos
    kitmos
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    OK I understand Tommy, but I miss the separate History folder. Esp true if a manual update does not save the history......

Cheers,

Kit
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Kit, the separate history folder is still there. If Generated Passwords are not visible in the sidebar, please click Preferences > General and tick the box next to Generated Passwords.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Sorry G

I keep forgetting that is turned off by default.
  • kitmos
    kitmos
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Hi Gita,

I assumed that because it says “generated” than it wouldn’t include passwords that were assigned or pre 1Password (in other words ones I had b4 1Password came along). Never mind; I think I’m making more of this than it’s worth.

Cheers,

Kit
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    kitmos wrote:
    Hi Gita,

I assumed that because it says “generated” than it wouldn’t include passwords that were assigned or pre 1Password (in other words ones I had b4 1Password came along). Never mind; I think I’m making more of this than it’s worth.

Cheers,

Kit

The Generated Passwords section of the sidebar is for passwords that you've asked 1Password to generate for you. The password History (if any) is directly added to a specific Logins item when 1Password has detected you have changed the password using the site's web form and you asked to save the changes. I hope that explains it a little better.
This discussion has been closed.