How does a new Family user create a "Local" vault?

Options
ThomasK
ThomasK
Community Member

I'm rolling out Family, but I also still have my original "Local" setup[1] (is that the correct name?) I'd like all of my users to also be able to have their own Local setup too, in addition to their Family vaults. But I've already run into a situation where how to do that is not obvious.

One of my Family users just started (first time using 1PW at all, which may be relevant) and during the initial setup they were asked if they wanted to subscribe to a Team or to make a Local (it may have called it "Personal") vault. I assumed Team included Family and so told them to choose that option. Turns out I was right and their setup concluded with no problems.

But now they don't appear to be able to create Local vaults (whereas I can, perhaps because I already had my Local setup in place before Family arrived?). In fact for this new user, they don't even seem to have the "1Password->New Personal Vault..." menu item at all. (It's not even that it's there but greyed out)[2].

Any ideas?
thanks,
Thomas

[1] By "Local" I mean the original non-cloud "Primary" vault plus any others I created with "1Password->New Personal Vault..."

[2] I made sure they had "All Vaults" selected in the main app before trying to create the new vault because I know that getting that wrong can sometimes result in the menu option being greyed out.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ThomasK,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

The option to create a new Personal vault (i.e. a local vault) is not available by default when the initial setup is done with a 1Password account (a family or team). However, you can enable the option like this:

1. From the 1Password menu, choose Preferences, and click the Advanced icon.
    2. Click Enable Personal Vaults.

Then you will be able to create a new Personal vault.

I hope that helps. Please let me know. :)

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.