Lenient URL no longer working STOP HIDING MATCHES

Options
noto
noto
Community Member
edited April 2016 in Mac

Few things are more infuriating than when 1Password makes things HARDER. Because of the type of work that I do, I have many similar logins. For example, I have eight logins with the name "Amazon" in them. I want to see ALL EIGHT logins. I used to be able to do this by enabling "Lenient URL matching" but that option has been removed. I'm using 1Password 6.2.1 and I ALWAYS want to see ALL of my logins.

There is never a time when I want to click "Show X More Logins" that's just slowing down the process. I'm in 1Password All. Day. Long.

It's behavior like this that makes me increasingly reluctant to update 1Password. So how, in 1Password 6.2.1 do I restore the behavior previously provided by "Lenient URL matching" and have ALL matching logins display automatically? Thank you.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: WiFi ONLY
Referrer: kb-search:mini hides matches

Comments

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @noto. I'm sorry for this frustration. Lenient URL matching is the subject of quite a bit of discussion right now. The good news is that for now, the preference hasn't been removed, only renamed. Do you have the "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" option checked? I just tested this with my various *.agilebits.com logins and it worked for me to either expand or restrict the list if the checkbox was checked or unchecked respectively. (I am using the beta version of 1Password, but I don't think we've made any additional changes to this area since 6.2.) If you're not seeing the same, then we may be looking at a different issue.

Let us know if we can help further.

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

• noto
    noto
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me. YES, I have enabled "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" (and I did quit and re-launch 1Password and 1Password mini). But the additional logins are still hidden (see attached image).

I honestly don't understand how there can be a debate about this. Why would anyone think that hiding matches would ever be a good idea? If I'm literally typing a search phrase why would I ever NOT want to see EVERY match? This seems so very anti-user-friendly. And it's not a matter of space, there is PLENTY of room to display all eight matches. Okay, I can see if I had more matches than could comfortably appear on my MBP display such that the menu was unusable, that would warrant using "Show more items" but I am far from whatever that limit is.

More than frustrating, it's infuriating. I suppose if I didn't use 1Password constantly throughout the day for all of my client projects, this may only be a minor inconvenience. But since I do a lot of client work, which means securing not only MY data, but that of my clients as well, I'm regularly running into this issue and it's just such a non-sensical, irrational thorn in the side of my productivity.

Thank you for your help. Perhaps there's a bug in the version that I'm using.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up on this, @noto. I'm really sorry that 1Password is infuriating you.

When you are searching, 1Password will only show the top 5 results for any search term. You will need to either:

• click "Show n more items"
    • arrow down and press Return on "Show n more items"
    • keep typing to narrow the search further

Certain search terms may have hundreds of items, so we try not to visually overwhelm folks when they are searching in 1Password mini. We only do this in mini, though, where it is being displayed over the content you are viewing. In the main 1Password app, the full search results are always displayed.

To get the behavior you seek when you are not searching (i.e. when you just open 1Password mini to sign in to a site while you are viewing that site's sign-in page), you'll want to disable "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites". When the option is enabled, we limit the number of sites shown to 5 (just like when searching) since enabling that option can end up showing a very larger number of items in many cases.

Apart from searching, does that resolve the problem when you are trying to view matching Login items for the current site you are viewing?

As for the "Show n more items" in general, I'll make sure the devs know you would like to see that removed and search results go all the way to the bottom of your screen if necessary. Personally, I like the visual clutter contained. I can always narrow the search scope by typing more characters. But I can completely see how you might prefer to not have the results truncated like that.

• noto
    noto
    Community Member
    Options

Hello: Thanks for getting back to me. The 1Password behavior I seek used to be in 1Password. The “fix” of enabling “Lenient URL matching” was started in March 2014. It’s been working since then.

This feature has been debated before, I've even commented on it before:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/123686/#Comment_123686

I hear that Agilebits wants to protect some percentage of users that might have “hundreds of matches”. But I don’t understand why the OPTION to display all matches has being removed. I don’t have hundreds of matches, I have 5-10 matches for services that multiple clients use. Let us CONTINUE to choose to display more matches.

I’m not working in !Password mini, I’m grabbing credentials for a moment and then the menu disappears. I don’t believe I have ever been concerned that the menu has momentarily obscured whatever window is behind it because who cares what’s behind the menu that I’m in only momentarily?

Thank you.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2016
    Options

@noto,

Sorry for any confusion. There was never an option to display all matches. "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" (née "Lenient URL matching") is only related to the "Show n more items" feature when you are viewing matching Login items for a domain. It has no effect when searching.

When searching

• The "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" setting has no effect on this at all.
    • This is what I understand you would like to see go away. Is that correct?

When opening mini while viewing a site where you have saved Login items

With "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" DISABLED (the default)

With "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" ENABLED

The reason for this is that the search space is a lot larger once we start including every single subdomain. For example, if I have Login items saved for client sites at a.example.com, b.example.com, c.example.com, … x.example.com, y.example.com, and z.example.com, I don't want or need to see all 26 Login items for example.com when I am trying to sign in at f.example.com. I only need to see my Login for f.example.com. But if you prefer to see al of them all the time, you can enable that option. When you do, 1Password will limit the list to the first 5.

1. Are you requesting "Show n more items" be done away with in this case as well?
    2. Have you tried disabling the option as I suggested? Did that give you the result you were looking for in the meantime?
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I want to be clear that this has not changed in the latest release. Everything is behaving just as it did before. The only change was the wording of the option. But we are looking at improvements for the future, so we really appreciate you taking the time to let us know you would like to see this changed. :)

This discussion has been closed.