Can't set up desktop app as started with beta Win10 app

Options
jmhackwell
jmhackwell
Community Member

Hi. Just got 1 password and followed a link which installed the beta Win10 app. have used this to create personal vault and set up some logins which I can also see online via the website. Seems I need the desktop app to get full functionality but when I try to install it asks me to create a new vault. If I select that I have already used 1password it finds a file location and says 'this is not a 1password vault' Any ideas?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:help

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmhackwell: I'm sorry for the confusion! The 1Password for Windows desktop app does not yet support 1Password Families (which is why the Windows 10 beta is the only option offered during setup), but we're working on an update for that, which will work on Windows 7 and 8 as well.

• jmhackwell
    jmhackwell
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for that. The beta is OK but seems to lack some of the functionality - what I really want to know how to do is to link to the same account on my Android phone. E.g., I have set up Amazon on my PC - how do I link to my 1password on my phone as the beta app doesn't seem to have the option to copy to dropbox or enable wifi sync

• jmhackwell
    jmhackwell
    Community Member
    Options

Also, now when I login in this morning, i see the items I set up on the 1password website but inside my Windows beta app I have nothing - how do I refresh this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that. The beta is OK but seems to lack some of the functionality -

@jmhackwell: Indeed. It is a work in progress, but we're improving it every day. Be sure to let us know if you have any feedback.

what I really want to know how to do is to link to the same account on my Android phone. E.g., I have set up Amazon on my PC - how do I link to my 1password on my phone as the beta app doesn't seem to have the option to copy to dropbox or enable wifi sync

I may have misunderstood what you were trying to do. You posted this in the 1Password Families category of the forums. Are you not using that?

If you are, you can simply login to your account in the 1Password for Windows 10 beta and 1Password for Android, and all of your vaults will become available there.

If not, you'll probably want to use the 1Password for Windows desktop app, since that supports both Dropbox and Wi-Fi Sync to 1Password for Android...but you will still need to have a vault first in order for that to work.

If you can clarify exactly what devices you're using and what you're trying to do, I'll be happy to help! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Also, now when I login in this morning, i see the items I set up on the 1password website but inside my Windows beta app I have nothing - how do I refresh this?

@jmhackwell: It looks like you posted again while I was replying. Sorry I missed that!

You can add a 1Password Families/Teams account from the menu in the lower left:

• jmhackwell
    jmhackwell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

If you see the two attached screenshots - when I log in to my account via the beta app I no longer see anything - the other shot shows what I see via the website. If I try to join a team and login in again nothing changes since I am already logged in

• jmhackwell
    jmhackwell
    Community Member
    Options

When I look at the Android app - I seem to have to create a new master password and then login to my existing one from there - this means I will have two master passwords which seems ridiculous.

Is there not a better way to do this?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmhackwell: Currently 1Password for Android will still have a Primary vault which is separate from 1Password Families, but you can make the Master Password the same and not use that vault if you prefer.

I see that you have "Personal" open in the Windows 10 app. Are you certain you're viewing the same vault on the 1Password Families website? You'll have at least Personal, Shared, and then any other vaults you create there in the web interface.

• jmhackwell
    jmhackwell
    Community Member
    Options

OK - I have now installed Android app and joined my team but same is true, I see no logins set up. All the logins you see on the screenshot above were created using the Windows 10 beta app but they are now only visible via the web interface?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmhackwell: This may seem like a silly question, but are you using the same login credentials (Account Key, Master Password, URL, and email address) in the apps that you are to login to the web interface? Which vaults are you seeing exactly?

• jmhackwell
    jmhackwell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty - it's a fair question but yes, I only have one account key and am using the same email and master password. In both Android and Windows I see I am connected to my family account, I see a 'personal' vault and a 'shared' vault but both are empty. In the web interface, if I go into the 'my profile section, I see that the Chrome Win 10 app plus the Android app are associated with the account

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmhackwell: Wow. I'm really sorry about that. It seems like this probably isn't a bug in the apps, since they shouldn't have the same problem in that case, so perhaps there's something going on on the server side. I've brought this peculiar issue up with the team so we can investigate this and get back to you shortly. Thanks for your patience! :blush:

• jmhackwell
    jmhackwell
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty - I can now see the items I have set up in the Android app but they are still missing from the Windows 10 bete app. Did you find anything else out?

• mohamedosman
    mohamedosman
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @jmhackwell, just wondering, did you do anything differently to view the data in the Android app?

There currently is a bug on the Windows 10 Beta app where items created using the app are pushed to your Team, but aren't saved in the app. We're working on fixing this bug right now, but a workaround for this issue is to simply edit the item from the Teams web app which force us to re-sync and store it.

Give that a try and let me know how it goes.

This discussion has been closed.