Changing from Local Folder sync to WiFi sync

Options
mchiasson
mchiasson
Community Member

Hi there,

Is there a way in 1Password for Android to switch the synchronization feature from syncing with a local folder to syncing using WiFi instead?

Thank you,

Michael Chiasson

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: ug:android/wifi, kb:wifi-troubleshooting, kb-search:change to wifi sync, kb:faq, kb-search:change sync methods

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hey @mchiasson. Currently, it's not possible to reconfigure sync on Android without first resetting or reinstalling the app, so if you've already configured sync using local storage, you'll need to reset the app in order to configure Wi-Fi sync.

Do you already have your vault synced on a Mac or PC? If not, you'll need to manually copy your vault folder (.agilekeychain) from your Android's local storage onto your Mac or PC and sync with that vault. Once your data has successfully migrated onto the desktop, you can go to your device Settings > Apps > 1Password > Storage, and tap Clear Data in order to configure Wi-Fi sync.

Let me know how that goes!

• mchiasson
    mchiasson
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you peri!

I re-installed the app on Android, and it got to the point of WiFi sync where the Windows PC's name is displayed, but then the secret code was asked for and provided, and it just sat at this screen - potentially there was something underneath the Keyboard - will logging provide details of this? I can attempt to re-create it later on if that's the case.

• peri
    Options

No problem, @mchiasson. :)

Do you have an antivirus software or firewalls on either the Android or PC? Also, did you end up seeing any error messages, or was that what was potentially under the keyboard?

I'd like you to try these steps:

1. Open your Android device settings and turn Wi-Fi off and back on
    2. On your PC, turn Wi-Fi Off and then turn it back on
    3. Make sure that your Android device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your PC
    4. Open 1Password on your Windows and unlock it with your Master Password
    5. From the menu bar, choose File > Wi-Fi Sync.
    6. Go back to 1Password for Android and configure Wi-Fi sync.

If you still have trouble syncing, try unplugging your router for about 10 seconds and then trying it again. Let me know if that does the trick!

• mchiasson
    mchiasson
    Community Member
    Options

AWesome, thank you Peri, I'll attempt these steps as soon as I can, and will advise either way - greatly appreciated!

• peri
    Options

No problem. Keep me updated. :)

• mchiasson
    mchiasson
    Community Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi @peri - my apologies for the wait - unfortunately the sync was still not successful, here is a brief movie (unlisted YouTube) of what appears after entering the secret as provided by 1Password for Windows (tried both with and without spaces)

removed by AgileBits

Is there anything else that we should do differently?

Thank you,

Michael Chiasson

• peri
    Options

Hi @mchiasson. Thanks for the update and the video. :) I removed it just to be on the safe side, since it contained your Wi-Fi secret.

First things first, the secret should be entered exactly as is--including the spaces. So when you enter it into 1Password on Android it should look like this:
    0123 4567 8901

You mentioned that you did try entering it with spaces, though, so that's not the issue here. I just wanted to mention that for future reference.

In the Wi-Fi sync window on your PC, you should see Generate New Secret. Tap that to get a new secret. Then enter that into 1Password on Android. Are you able to sync after?

If not, I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports from your Android device and your PC:

---Android---
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/android.html

---Windows---
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/win.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+android@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• mchiasson
    mchiasson
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent, I'll attempt that and will update and email if it still isn't working.

Thank you,

Michael Chiasson

• mchiasson
    mchiasson
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @peri - unfortunately the sync was not successful - my boss submitted the diagnostics from both Android and Windows and said as per thread #299865

Thank you

• peri
    Options

Thanks! I'll take a look and we can continue the conversation over email.
    ref: VRX-45788-669

This discussion has been closed.