Merrill Lynch login issue

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Multi-page login: Capital360 Bank.

Comments

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Hi, I was wondering if you could please help me with a particular multi-page login. The weird thing with this site is it won't enter my username. Perhaps it's a bank / security thing? It happens so quickly but I think it might actually fill in my username but them immediately delete it. Not a huge deal to copy & paste the user credentials but I'm more curious if you can make it work!
    https://www.mymerrill.com/login/login.aspx?dd=off

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho: I hope you don't mind, but I've split you off into a separate discussion so we can focus on your specific issue. lil bobby is away at the moment as well, but I know he'll get the notification so he can take a look when he returns if necessary. :)

Indeed, that particular site does seem problematic. I also found another login form:

https://www.mymerrill.com/ml/home.aspx

Unfortunately in both cases it seems like a script on the site is either preventing 1Password from filling or clearing the field afterward. I suspect it may be related to the placeholder text. They're probably expecting manual keyboard input.

Does that describe what you're seeing? Also, let me know which OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using. We'll see if there's a workaround for this. :)

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I rest my case ;) https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63270/opi-3484-love-these-beta-updates#latest

As for this website, you describe the problem exactly, and I tried your link as well with no luck.
    1Password 6 Version 6.3.BETA-7 (630007)
    Mac 10.11.4
    Chrome & extension 1Password Beta 4.5.6.4

Low, low, lo-owwww priority, if any at all.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

FWIW, also tested on Safari / beta ext. 4.5.6.b4 - same result.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho: Thanks for confirming (and making me laugh...again)! I'll admit that it isn't clear to me what's going on there, so I'm going to defer to lil bobby on this one. I've pinged him on this so he can take a closer look when he gets in. Thanks for your patience! :)

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I just tried this out with a fresh login saved for just the username page and it worked well for me with 4.5.6.4 in Chrome and the latest 1Password beta. Here is the item's information. You can copy this block of text from here and then you should be able to choose File > New Item from Clipboard… in 1Password. Does this login fill the username "test" for you like it did for me?

{"sectionName":"M","details":{"fields":[{"value":"test","id":"txtUserid;opid=__9","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$txtUserid","type":"T","designation":"username"},{"value":"","id":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_lstUserids_ctlCombo_Input;opid=__10","name":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_lstUserids_ctlCombo_Input","type":"T"},{"value":"","id":"txtReadonlyUserid;opid=__13","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$txtReadonlyUserid","type":"T"},{"value":"","id":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_chkRememberMe;opid=__14","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$chkRememberMe","type":"C"},{"value":"","id":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_rptrQuestions_riQuestions{%__count}_txtAnswer;opid=__15","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$rptrQuestions$riQuestions{%__count}$txtAnswer","type":"T"},{"value":"","id":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_txtOTPChannel;opid=__18","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$txtOTPChannel","type":"T"},{"value":"","id":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_txtOTP;opid=__19","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$txtOTP","type":"P"},{"value":"","id":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_txtCode;opid=__20","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$txtCode","type":"P"},{"value":"Resend code","id":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_btnResendOTPContinue;opid=__21","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$btnResendOTPContinue","type":"I"},{"value":"Cancel","id":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_btnOTPCancel;opid=__22","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$btnOTPCancel","type":"I"},{"value":"Send code","id":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_btnSendCode;opid=__23","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$btnSendCode","type":"I"},{"value":"Cancel","id":"ctl00_ctl00_cphNestedUtility_cphStage_view1_widgetctl_ctl00_validateUserControl_ctl00_btnSendCancel;opid=__24","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$btnSendCancel","type":"I"},{"value":"","id":"txtPassword;opid=__25","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$txtPassword","type":"P"},{"value":"","id":"txtNewPassword;opid=__26","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$txtNewPassword","type":"P"},{"value":"","id":"txtVerifyPassword;opid=__27","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$txtVerifyPassword","type":"P"},{"value":"Continue","id":"btnValidate;opid=__28","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$btnValidate","type":"I"},{"value":"Log in","id":"btnContinue;opid=__29","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$btnContinue","type":"I"},{"value":"Cancel","id":"btnCancel;opid=__30","name":"ctl00$ctl00$cphNestedUtility$cphStage$view1$widgetctl$ctl00$validateUserControl$ctl00$btnCancel","type":"I"}],"htmlForm":{"htmlMethod":"LB1"},"sections":[{"title":"Related Items","name":"linked items"}]},"uuid":"l3lhbar4nncd3kj4lywekp2v5u","updatedAt":1461165746,"createdAt":1461165344,"categoryUUID":"001","overview":{"title":"Mymerrill","url":"https:\/\/olui2.fs.ml.com\/mlogin\/Login.aspx?mode=LoginWidget&siteref=myml&resizewidgeturl=https:\/\/www.mymerrill.com\/ml\/mlWidgetProxy.html","ainfo":"test","ps":0},"URLs":[{"overview":{"label":"website","url":"https:\/\/olui2.fs.ml.com\/mlogin\/Login.aspx?mode=LoginWidget&siteref=myml&resizewidgeturl=https:\/\/www.mymerrill.com\/ml\/mlWidgetProxy.html"}},{"overview":{"label":"website","url":"https:\/\/www.mymerrill.com\/ml\/home.aspx"}}]}

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 Sorry for my late response - I didn't asterisk this thread & my name wasn't pinged!
    I did as you said and you are right - 'test' did fill in. However, when I replaced test with my actual username, and added my p/w in the login you created, it didn't work. My username flashed for a nano second as was then immediately erased.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 I've been playing around a little more .. it's the password field that seems to be the issue. If I delete my password and trigger the login, it fills in my username. But if the password field has my info in it, the username is wiped out.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @iamecho. In looking at the sign in form some more, I do see that there are password fields on the page as well that are just not visible. My guess is 1Password is filling these and as a result, the page is clearing the username field. I tried to debug this a bit but their blur and focus event handlers got my Chrome breakpoints into a loop because when it stops on the breakpoint, focus is taken away from the field.

This will require some additional investigation. While it might seem obvious to simply not fill password fields that aren't visible, there are a lot of ways that fields might not be visible to the user that 1Password can't reliably detect right now, so this will be a delicate fix to achieve.

For now, my best recommendation is to store two logins, one with the username only and one with the password.

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 Thank you for your response & for the time you've obviously spent looking into this. Two logins is a good workaround, thanks.

• jxpx777
    jxpx777
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My pleasure, @iamecho! Cheers!

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@jxpx777 I'm not sure if I'm on to something, but I looked at my web form details and took the following screenshot to show you. The first line of xxx's was my old username, the second line of xxx's is my current username, and the third line of xxx's is my current password. I have no idea why it is still remembering the old username as I don't see it anyway in the entry. Do you think this is the cause of the problem?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho: Did you try saving a brand new login item? If not, perhaps originally you'd saved it in the process of changing your login credentials. Otherwise, I wonder if the site is using cookies to remember your username for some reason. You could try clearing that and saving the login again. Let us know what you find!

• iamecho
    iamecho
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Hi, good morning! Yes, I cleared my cache and created the login again from scratch. Nada. It's okay, I thought I'd found something in the web details, but obviously not! 2 logins will be fine.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iamecho: Thanks for the update! Sometimes different forms are truly different enough to cause problems when trying to use a single login item for both, but we'll keep working to make 1Password smarter. I'm glad to hear that separate logins will work for you in the mean time. :)

This discussion has been closed.